Array

School
    10WO

NAGA Memphis

Let's do this shit!

Array

School
    10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    10th Planet Decatur will be there and I'm bringing some guys from Florence BJJ as well. We are driving up tonight for weigh ins. I'll be rocking my 10th Planet Shirt.. See you there!

Array

School
    10WO
    Alright, and that shit is done! I was able to bring home 2nd place in no-gi beginners. Wasn't quite as strong a performance as I would have liked, but I definitely learned from both of these matches, especially with this being my first jiu-jitsu tournament. And sorry for not throwing my 10's up in the videos, but I did get one when they snapped the medal shot for my division.

First match went well, able to stuff a shot, scramble for back control and transition to an armbar. He was able to stand up and attempted to slam me twice, which ended up with a dq for him, which I figure if its tight enough to try and slam someone for it must have been pretty damn tight.

Array

School
    10WO
    My second match didn't go so well. Went in for a sloppy double leg, got sprawled on, botched my sit-out attempt, scrambled to full guard and attempted to play some rubber guard. With that gogo-plata attempt, I didn't realize his right arm wasn't on the mat. When he did manage to pass my guard I had his right arm trapped in a way I thought I could get a short arm crush from, but it didn't materialize. I'm glad I was able to prevent him from getting hooks in from back control, but when I heard his coach yelling out for the arm triangle I kind of panicked. The guy was pretty strong, so I knew if it got cinched in I'd be done for. And of course with that being the only thing I was focused on, that is exactly what happened. It was sunk in so tight I could barely talk on the phone, even though that didn't help, tightest arm triangle I've ever been caught in. Lights were going out quick, unfortunately I had to tap. After the match though I learned this guy is 5-0 in MMA, so that helps a little bit....not much, but a little bit.

Definately need to work on takedowns, sit-outs, wrestling in general, not laying flat on my back when working from guard, slowing down and paying attention not to skip steps when proceeding with RG. Also learned that rolling in class and competing in a tournament is a whole different animal, and I can't wait to get back to training for my next competition. I know there isn't much here, but any critiques would be greatly appreciated. Want to be able to rep 10p even harder next time!

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    Sorry guys we were going to go but went to the Eddie seminar in Chicago. See you next time

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Good Job holding it down guys.

Array

School
    10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Clark View Post
    My second match didn't go so well. Went in for a sloppy double leg, got sprawled on, botched my sit-out attempt, scrambled to full guard and attempted to play some rubber guard. With that gogo-plata attempt, I didn't realize his right arm wasn't on the mat. When he did manage to pass my guard I had his right arm trapped in a way I thought I could get a short arm crush from, but it didn't materialize. I'm glad I was able to prevent him from getting hooks in from back control, but when I heard his coach yelling out for the arm triangle I kind of panicked. The guy was pretty strong, so I knew if it got cinched in I'd be done for. And of course with that being the only thing I was focused on, that is exactly what happened. It was sunk in so tight I could barely talk on the phone, even though that didn't help, tightest arm triangle I've ever been caught in. Lights were going out quick, unfortunately I had to tap. After the match though I learned this guy is 5-0 in MMA, so that helps a little bit....not much, but a little bit.

Definately need to work on takedowns, sit-outs, wrestling in general, not laying flat on my back when working from guard, slowing down and paying attention not to skip steps when proceeding with RG. Also learned that rolling in class and competing in a tournament is a whole different animal, and I can't wait to get back to training for my next competition. I know there isn't much here, but any critiques would be greatly appreciated. Want to be able to rep 10p even harder next time!
    I couldn't believe this guy was competing in beginner. I cornered one of my training partners a couple months ago against this guy in the V3 fights in Memphis. He is definitely NOT a beginner. At the very least he is a wrestler which should have bumped him up to intermediate.

You'll always have the fucking sandbaggers but hopefully you gained some good experience. Keep training!!