Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    no question, you should enroll there. the gi game is fun, too. and there will be so much to learn from those guys. you will grow by leaps and bounds just by being enrolled at a school and training with good guys. that black belt will have tons of knowledge for you to soak up.
    who is the instructor?
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    no question, you should enroll there. the gi game is fun, too. and there will be so much to learn from those guys. you will grow by leaps and bounds just by being enrolled at a school and training with good guys. that black belt will have tons of knowledge for you to soak up.
    who is the instructor?
    His name is Chad Beatty, he is the main instructor. There are 3 other coaches as well.

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Definitely train there! Also, definitely make a trip to Coach Herzog when you can. You can learn a lot from book/dvds, but it's a whole new experience to learn from an actual 10th Planet instructor.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Jeff, you live about an hour from where I grew up. In all kindness, and as supportive as possible, guys that train the way you do tend to be behind where they think they are when they come train at our dojo. It's a real eye opener to train with guys that roll 6+ hours a week with other talented people. That's not to say that there are people out there that develop their own quality training partners while they are learning themselves, but I don't know if that's you. Whatever you decide to do, you should try to train in a club/class/dojo/academy. Whatever you can get. I think there are some places in Glens Falls. Good luck. I'll hit you up next time I come home and maybe we can train.

Array

School
    Kalgoorlie :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cook View Post
    Jeff, you live about an hour from where I grew up. In all kindness, and as supportive as possible, guys that train the way you do tend to be behind where they think they are when they come train at our dojo. It's a real eye opener to train with guys that roll 6+ hours a week with other talented people. That's not to say that there are people out there that develop their own quality training partners while they are learning themselves, but I don't know if that's you. Whatever you decide to do, you should try to train in a club/class/dojo/academy. Whatever you can get. I think there are some places in Glens Falls. Good luck. I'll hit you up next time I come home and maybe we can train.
    I learnt that first hand.

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cook View Post
    Glens Falls has only kung fu and karate as far as I know. Saratoga has BJJ and thats where I'm going to train soon. But I understand you and I've experienced that already when I faced someone that was 10x better than me. I thought I was going to win but, turns out I wasn't as good as I thought I was. Still though, some of the guys I'm training with are no joke, some of these guys are professional boxers, champion wrestlers, MMA fighters, 5th degree Karate Black Belts, ALL that. But they probably have nothing on the professor I'll be training with soon enough.

Array

School
    Edmonton BJJ Club / Mundaruca BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffRace727 View Post
    Glens Falls has only kung fu and karate as far as I know. Saratoga has BJJ and thats where I'm going to train soon. But I understand you and I've experienced that already when I faced someone that was 10x better than me. I thought I was going to win but, turns out I wasn't as good as I thought I was. Still though, some of the guys I'm training with are no joke, some of these guys are professional boxers, champion wrestlers, MMA fighters, 5th degree Karate Black Belts, ALL that. But they probably have nothing on the professor I'll be training with soon enough.
    Still be prepared to get choked the fuck out with the gi. It will be a surprise at how much it will suck. And it may be a whitebelt girl doing it to you. Keep you ego at home. Other thing. Maybe wait a while before you "show" the people in your class anything. Found out first hand that it is usually better to just shut you mouth and do as your told for the first little bit. It really sucks to alienate yourself and not want to go there anymore 2 months after signing a year contract. Also be prepared to get run into the wall if a guy can't break your rubber guard, classic "oops have to reset from our knees" moves.
    As you can tell I'm bitter.

Array

School
    Pedro bessa, cardiff, wales.
    so true, you will get gi choked left and right, and some of the no gi stuff won't apply as it leaves your neck exposed to collar chokes, as I'm finding with my half guard game at the mo. I woldn't mentio you have been training 10th planet and don't show anyone any moves unless they ask, it could be seen as disrespectful. You will also be suprised at the knowledge the black belt has, it really is a massive achievement to get a black belt in bjj and I carn't see you not benefiting from it.

I'm not sure about the gi benefitting your no gi game, more specifics would have been nice on that one. I actually find the gi hinders my no gi techniques as someone is grabbing onto a sleeve or trouser leg which prevents me from executing a few techniques.

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Madsen View Post
    Still be prepared to get choked the fuck out with the gi. It will be a surprise at how much it will suck. And it may be a whitebelt girl doing it to you. Keep you ego at home. Other thing. Maybe wait a while before you "show" the people in your class anything. Found out first hand that it is usually better to just shut you mouth and do as your told for the first little bit. It really sucks to alienate yourself and not want to go there anymore 2 months after signing a year contract. Also be prepared to get run into the wall if a guy can't break your rubber guard, classic "oops have to reset from our knees" moves.
    As you can tell I'm bitter.
    I've trained with the gi tons of times. In fact I'm better with it, cause you know you can do everything no-gi with the gi. Gi chokes were my specialty. I trained a little judo with a good friend of mine for a while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12