weight lifting and flexibility

Doing a big leg workout seems to always work against my flexibility training. It obviously makes sense that it would be harder to stretch and lengthen the legs after being smashed at the gym... so how have athletes approached this? It seems to be the following day & sometimes even the next 3 days after the leg workout that my flexibility gets shut down. For me it's my adductors & hip flexors that are the worst. I've tried like crazy to think outside the box & somehow tweak the leg strengthening exercises.... but I got nothing. If anybody has any tips for how to approach standard "Leg Press", "Leg Extensions", "Leg Curles", "Calves" (with leg press being the main culprit) it would be really appreciated! I'm assuming I'm not the fist person to come across this problem considering how the 10th planet system looks at both training hard & flexibility.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I cut out leg press for squats. I can leg press way more than is good for my knees. Exercises with full range of leg moment and that work the opposing muscle group would probably help. Other than that lots of water and stretching after working out. I'd also think about cutting the weight down and trying to perform each exercise with explosive force as opposed to slowly doing really heavy reps. Wont build as much bulk but prob better for jui jitsu.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    are you stretching before workouts? I am a larger fellow and just recently started squating again and i love it squats IMO are the best weight lifting workout there is cause it stregthens so many important groups. My cousin which is a sports medicine major and ammy strong man competitor showed me a routine of hip stretches to do before and i think that helps alot also do you do a warm up set with really low weight or jump right at your sets?

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    any chance of seeing those hip stretches?

So it sounds like both of you take Squats over legPress. I'll definitely switch that up next leg day and see how that feels! I always stretch out as much as I can before the workout... so It'd be great to see some hip stretches that help out. Even if it's not your vid & just a link to a tutorial, that'd still be awsome. I always start my sets super light & warm up, just so I'm not fucked for stretching the next day (even though I always am). Also a good tip for drinking water during the workout... I never do but I'll give that a shot also.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    My mma couch has up do hip stretches where you stand on one leg and swing the other in various ways, I like them.
    Stretching after working out is really important too. A weight lifting coach I had once said if you want bulk muscles for looks dont stretch after but if are working out for sports always stretch after.

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    I cut out leg press for squats. I can leg press way more than is good for my knees. Exercises with full range of leg moment and that work the opposing muscle group would probably help. Other than that lots of water and stretching after working out. I'd also think about cutting the weight down and trying to perform each exercise with explosive force as opposed to slowly doing really heavy reps. Wont build as much bulk but prob better for jui jitsu.
    This.