Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Tai Kai Jiu Jitsu

Head n' Arm Control while fighting w/ the Lockdown.

Hey guys,

I've been struggling for a while with grappling players who put wicked head control on while I've got them in the Lockdown. Their weight is directly on top of me, making it hard for me to make proper use of the Whip-Up. It wouldn't be so bad if they tried searching for a submission or transition and I could catch a mistake they've made, what it frustrating is that when I catch them in Lockdown they tend to sit there and let the roll get stale. I can't search for an Old School or Electric Chair, and sometimes it's hard to even get Plan B or the TwistBack/Plan B combo. anyone got pointers on successful ways to fight back head control?

Array

School
    10th Planet Burbank
    Try whipping them up more over the opposite shoulder to the lockdown. So they are going more "up" than to the side.

Array

School
    Tai Kai Jiu Jitsu
    I can give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks Scott, and everyone else please post ideas and tips

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Head and arm means they've got an underhook negating your whip up. The stomps, godfather, and jaws of life are good options to start with.

Array

School
    Foundations BJJ Academy, Madison WI
    Nate, here are a few things that work really well for me in high level competitions. I know exactly what you are saying, because a lot of these East Coast guys still haven't figured out the simplicity of the lock-down yet.
    First money move for me: when my opponents catch me in the head and arm while I'm grabbing lock-down, I change my grips. Their under-hook arm becomes an over-hook arm for me, and I pin my hand to the small space between our chests. Now, depending on which side it is on, that determines the direction of my sweep. Example: if his under-hook is on the same side as my lock-down, i over-hook and stuff my hand deep, trapping his arm so he can't base out with it. Then I open my lock, and bridge sweep with power to that same side. (this one is easier, since his weight is already on that side, and I don't have to muscle him)
    Second: if his under-hook arm is on the opposite side, I use my "un-trapped" arm that is under his armpit as an upward hook, I run my hand right over his shoulder into his throat, let go of my hooking foot (the on that is putting pressure on the instep of his foot) but keep my leg that is behind his knee there as my leg sweep, bridge with your free foot and sweep.
    Third: remember that lock-down is not a place you try to chill and hang out for a long period of time. as soon as you lock it in, under-hook and whip up, even if you don't have your hands planted perfectly, whip it up fast and hard with your knee's and turn it to the side fast. This will prevent most dudes from getting that head and arm too quickly. Biggest mistake I see people making with lock-down sweeps is this, they try to leg lift their opponents, not whip up driving the knee's to the chest. You HAVE to whip up, not log left.. even in a fairly tight head and arm, you should be able to move your opponent around with your whip up. And don't forget that crowbar to break his grip, and pimp arm his hip if you get stuck, and there is always the stomp, new stomp, and super stomp! I hope this helps man.
    I used to get stuck in this position all the time.. now I know better...

Array

School
    also, here are some moves i worked on the other day with one of my students.. maybe some of it will help. if so, let me know dude. good luck. drill it drill it drill it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Burbank
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Head and arm means they've got an underhook negating your whip up. The stomps, godfather, and jaws of life are good options to start with.
    duh - i was thinking he had double unders. sorry.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    I gave up on fighting for it. If I get the under hooks then it's up to my side for an old school or a twist back. If I get the over hook then I go for the super stomp. It turns out that most guys were expecting my lockdown game and shutting it down, now that I hit the super stomp all the time, they are expecting that... so now my lockdown game is back into play again.

Array

School
    Tai Kai Jiu Jitsu
    Thanks guys, I'm going to have to go back to my "Mastering the Rubber Guard" book, and review the stomps. Keep up the ideas please I want this thread to stay FRESHHH

Array

School
    that video help at all man?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast