Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    RMNU

To get top position, are you better at sweeping or passing?

My passing needs some work.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I like to think I'm pretty well rounded within my weight class. If the guys bigger and stronger than me I'm probly gonna pass, because even a lot of my sweeps end me in guard often on good guys.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I always like the sweeps that land in dominant positions. Also, sweeps right into the passes, before he can settle in a guard and or sweeps into subs. Bobby Rivers is right tho, most good grapplers get guard established. Basic pass combo for me is old school knee slice/capoeira pass combo, with he knee slice being my first choice. I love all the 101 pass and its variations. I also like attacking from top half guard, depending on the details of the position, I might opt to NOT pass.. Fundamentals are pass first, but I've gotten comfortable with alot of top half guard subs, one of my more threatening positions. Passing open guard is another whole convo. M-series and bill cooper pass.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Hi Will. Good question. Do whatever it takes is the short answer.
    In chess or football, you gotta be able to power through the middle or flank from the sides.
    Same goes for Jiu Jitsu. With time, you'll add more weapons to your game, so that you will impose your game, whether it be attacking or countering.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Jean Jacques said it best. "I know the numbers but only you know the combination"
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    Jean Jacques said it best. "I know the numbers but only you know the combination"
    Pow! That's clean right there.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    That's a brilliant soundbite that offers a brief yet meaningful answer to a complex question. Another way to explain it is that the decision to look for sweeps or passes to get top position depends on your game, which you will develop over time based on your abilities and your limitations.

For instance, Eddie always pulled half-guard in competition. His reasons for this were based on his strengths and his weaknesses. Pulling half-guard put Eddie in a position where he was confident he could sweep. Eddie only had two years of wrestling, and by his own admission was not really good at it. So pulling guard also had the advantage of not letting more experienced wrestlers get takedown points.

Of course you should always work on your weaknesses but your strategy should acknowledge they exist.

Array

School
    RMNU
    I tend to start off most of my rolls thinking about a sweep therefore my passing is not getting the reps it should. I'm gonna try to mix it up a bit.

Array

School
    Textbook Jiu-Jitsu
    Many practitioners claim that breaking and passing the closed guard is the single most hardest task in a jiujitsu match.

Quote Originally Posted by James O'Brien II View Post
    Many practitioners claim that breaking and passing the closed guard is the single most hardest task in a jiujitsu match.
    Especially a 10th Planet guard! That's why everyone avoids it like the plague.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast