Array

School
    Nova BJJ Academy

*sad music*For just one reply you can save a white belt in need

In the beginning everything is rough obviously but I don't think it's ever too early to see SERIOUS holes in your game in any sport really
    I just mean like positions you have a way way harder time dealing with And you can tell are specifically being exploited because people have picked up on that
    And Jesus have I been dealing with one
    So besides mount some of the first escapes I worked on were for side control but they specifically worked on like the tight knee to armpit knee to hip with a lot of pressure
    I've been dealing something slightly different

I don't know the technical name or if there is one but it's just a side control but the legs are flattened kinda like you're running , flat on the side one (idk which) forward sometimes like they work up further and further to where they're like in front of my head but I'm still pinned pretty bad
    And I have NO CLUE what to do here

The closest I've gotten to escaping is getting JUST BARELY enough space to get to my side like the start up of the textbook escape or even like that one sweep in GI (grab the belt and roll) but the difference with here is I don't see anyway to influence their weight , certainly not their balance , and above all it's easier for them to regain any distance I'm trying to make it between us

Anything will help I'm pretty sure the entire class has picked up that I get stuck here , like I literally have more mount escapes because x>0 if x equals f*** all anything
    So I'll get plenty of time PLENTY to try any advice given

(GI or No GI variations I train both )

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Defend submissions with the intention of escaping on their attempt/transition. Focus on seeing the openings rather than forcing escapes. I have a little trouble deciphering exactly what your technical issue is; you're definitely thinking along the right lines of getting on your side. If either of your shoulders or hips are not being blocked, you have room to move. Focus on reading your opponents intentions. If he's going nowhere, it might be tough. As he looks for things employ underhook escapes, heismans, north/south granbys, whatever is appropriate. Timing is everything.

Array

School
    Nova BJJ Academy
    Thanks for the advice man
    Literally just got out of open mats Im sitting here waiting for afternoon fundamentals

I realized if I calm down a bit it helps I'm generally calm but I think I do work myself doing like you said trying to force an escape I wasn't thinking about his other intentions

So thus far here's no advice/tips I'm actively using
    •calm Down
    •dont force an escape by exploding
    •dont make it obvious that all I'm thinking about is an escape and don't telegraph the specific one I'm going for
    And most Importantly

•WAIT FOR THEIR MOVE
    That seems to be my chance to get out of it because during the transition they got sacrifice position posture or balance and once any of the three lose integrity even being the noob I am I'm starting to see my ways out

Array

School
    Nova BJJ Academy
    Anymore advice or critique of my strategy or mindset is more than welcome!!!!

Array

School
    Nova BJJ Academy
    I DID IT!!!
    (Disclaimer I did it once , one time , two hour class , one time )
    BUT I ESCAPED AND GOT LIKE THE SEATBELT BACK TAKE THING !!!!!
    I got shrugged off and choked after
    BUT I DID IT!
    and I'm proud