Comp Video Feedback

Hey guys,

I'd love to get some feedback on my most recent competition. Feel free to review my matches at the following link. #1-3 are a better representation of my game, #4 didn't go so well.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...uYGHqm_XSrehPQ

Much appreciated.

Array

School
    10thPlanet HQ/Oside/Kauai
    You are doing great! Keep on rolling! Drill! Build that muscle memory!
    The 10thPlanetjj Family Map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...513672&t=h&z=4

The 10thPlanetjj Family Tree http://www.jj4all.com/10p/rank/

Instagram: seanjitsu

Array

School
    10th planet north dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Dufresne View Post
    Hey guys,

I'd love to get some feedback on my most recent competition. Feel free to review my matches at the following link. #1-3 are a better representation of my game, #4 didn't go so well.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...uYGHqm_XSrehPQ

Much appreciated.
    In the first match, I noticed that your moves are very telegraphed as far as you know the move and you want to go for it but since you only know that one move you want, the uke is seeing that one thing you are attempting to go for. With that said, you need to setup your motions for example, if you want to play rubber guard, use butterfly sweeps to unbalance the uke and then shoot up RB. At 1:31, you try to fire rubber but are controlling with a club and tricep control. So are you sweeping or playing rubber guard? There were plenty of opportunity to sweep the uke to his left prior to your telegraphed attempt and there were many windows of him showing you he was off balance to his left your right. So my advice is before you look to shoot rubber ( your right hand was clubbing his head and your left hand was controlling his tricep ) you needed to switch sides and switch hands club his head with your left hand and control his tricep with your right hand and explode for the sweep to uke’s left. Try this next time you get stuck in cocoon. Review mts on warmups f! 10WO

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    First of all, good job getting out there and competing.

1st Match: When you went to the turtle and he got a seat belt grip, you did the right thing by continuing to your left, but once you were facing the ceiling you suddenly switched to trying to escape through the strong side instead of continuing to try to peel him off to the left. I think you accidentally did a lot of his job for him by moving to the strong side and then fighting the hooks instead of the hands, which let him lock up the RNC.

2nd Match: At 1:10 when you get that clinch, if it's not your comfortable rubber guard side, you can always pummel your left arm to the inside of his neck (releasing the head and getting a clinch on the shoulder only) and start using that underhook to find inverted arm bars, kimuras, and back takes. At 2:28 when you have the z-shield, his knee is on the mat and a lockdown is there for you before you got the double unders (Z-shoot pull, Zelda). It seems like your straight ankle locks keep coming in high up on the calf, and what I do to fix this is to first shoot my butt back (like a shrimp), and then extend my upper body while allowing the grip to loosen enough to move down the leg to the ankle.

3rd Match: Try to find some time to practice open guard passing. He ended up with you in butterfly with basically whatever he wanted, and just couldn't keep it together and capitalize on it. Around 1:10 you're back in his butterfly guard, and he's flat on his back, which makes this a good time to try a Flip Over or Fly Over pass. Nice transition to the ankle lock, and great finish. Good job!

4th Match: Okay, this guy likes to hit the Twister pass, which is honestly tough to stop (it's my personal go-to), but I think that you need to continue to pummel that left butterfly hook in every time that he does it. The time that you did insert the butterfly as he hit the pass, your left arm is completely behind him, which means there is an opportunity to swim your right arm out and get up on that elbow so you can try to bring your right knee up between you and then behind him and potentially take the back. Once he had 3/4 mount with the gift wrap, you were in pretty deep trouble, and I think that your concern with preventing the hooks and therefore the points was kind of a replay of Match 1, where they got the RNC in while your hands are down fighting their hooks.

Overall, really solid job out there. It seems like you have the same kinds of problems that I do, which is bigger, stronger opponents (wrestlers especially), a short clock to work with, points, and I assume some leg locks were illegal here. Keep on going and one day you'll be able to destroy the version of you in these videos. Good luck!