Array

School
    10th Planet HQ/ Brentwood BJJ

New MMA Judging Criteria

Like a lot of you guys, I am truly tired of watching fighters get screwed over with bad decisions. Yes, it is true that a fighter should do everything in their power to NOT leave the fight in the hands of the judges... but I think with the UFC being in existence for over 20 years... it is time for BETTER JUDGING.

That is why I think that every judge must have the following criteria:

1-2 years of Striking (Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, or even some sort of Karate/TMA background)
    1-2 years of Stand-Up Grappling Experience (Judo or Wrestling)
    Must hold ATLEAST a blue belt in Jiu-Jitsu

The reason why I suggest this is because it appears (on a lot of fights) that the judges don't actually know what they are seeing.

A. 1-2 years of striking isn't going to make you Anderson Silva, but you will know what good striking looks like... and be able to tell which fighter is doing more damage, which one is landing cleaner shots, whether or not a fighter has been knocked down or simply slipped.

B. 1-2 years of Stand-Up Grappling isn't going to make you GSP, but you will know what good takedowns/clinch work looks like.

C. Does a blue belt make you Marcelo Garcia... NOT EVEN CLOSE. However, a blue belt can watch a high level grappling match and know what is happening, and know what Grappler A is trying to do to Grappler B.

I also think that MMA Judging could be a new job source for RETIRED MMA Fighters.

What your opinions on the Judging in MMA? How can this problem be solved?

B.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    No clue how it can be fixed but something needs to happen

Array

School
    10WO
    No rounds, no time limits, no stand ups. Win bonus determined by how quickly someone finishes the fight, like say every two minutes costs $1K in win money.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I like your ideas Rick, it would be interesting to see what some of the fighting backgrounds of the Judges are.

Array

School
    Ground Control
    I think we're almost at the point where the sport is old enough to have more athletes retire and transition into judging/reffing roles. It's unfortunate that things seem to be getting worse before they get better. I think the bigger problem relies on using the 10 point must system from boxing, which is a completely different sport. Doesn't make any sense.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    have more athletes retire and transition into judging/reffing roles.
    It will never happen unless they're hard on their luck. MMA judges & Refs make very little money. When judges make very little money sometimes some shadiness happens especially when there's millions of dollars being bet on fights.

The Athletic Commissions are the problem!!!! Period. Dana nailed it in the post fight conference. There are many qualified judges!!! But that doesn't mean the Athletic Commissions hires those judges. The Athletic Commissions are above the law. They truly answer to nobody. Like Dana said they will ruin MMA just like they did with boxing. Corruption at its finest.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    I think the obvious answer is that we need to clone Joe Rogan have an entire panel of Joe Rogan's sitting at the judging tables.
    Only then will the judging be 100% accurate.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ/ Brentwood BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    I think the obvious answer is that we need to clone Joe Rogan have an entire panel of Joe Rogan's sitting at the judging tables.
    Only then will the judging be 100% accurate.

I'll call NASA... let's get this shit rolling