Array

School
    10th Planet London

nOOb looking for advice.

Hey guys,

So I am aware of course that there are other threads similar to this on this forum however I wanted a more comprenhesive answer so I thought I'd start a new one off.

A bit about me before I talk about why I'm really here. I live in London, my sporting background is strongly rooted in football (soccer) and never really participated in martial arts except for some karate when I was younger. This year, after the passing of my best friend I began looking into aspects of my life which I had previously thought I had made my mind up on. One specific aspect being my spiritualality. One thing led to another, found kundalini yoga, researched ancient usage of psychadelics (namely DMT), found Joe Rogan's podcast, found out what jiujitsu was, fell in love with the concept and decided to start training.

I started traditional Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) in mid September. It's a beautiful art and I respect it but from day one I did not feel comfortable with always having to rely on using the gi against it's wearer. Just over a month passed before I started realising that there were schools that taught no gi classes and stumbled upon 10th Planet through one of JR's podcasts and EB's second bought agsinst HG.

Fast forward two weeks and I walked into my first lesson at 10th Planet London. People were inverted, spinning like beyblades, walking on their hands. It was a little crazy to say the least.

Now I'm here. One month later as 10th Planet nOOb. An obbsessed nOOb at that.

My best friend was my Parrot (don't laugh, people suck) so a lot of the time when I wasn't at work or at friends, I would be at home playing with him, training him...things you do with your dog basically...so once he left me, it opened up a lot of free time I previously didn't have.

10th Planet London is currently moving to a differently location and will be open again at the start of the new year, but until then, I really want to get in some work before I hit the matts at the new place in January. I already plan on rolling at my friend's gym until the new year to keep the cardio up but what can I do on here to start with.

I just signed up to pro so I have access to the MTS.

Please leave some suggestions as to what I should be looking at and the some personal experiences or tips that could help me maximise my learning. Thank you so much, also if you want to add me on instagram, my insta is xUltraNovax

Array

School
    10th Planet Beirut
    Start with the warmups (they’re available on MTS); find a drilling partner that’s also interested and go through them over and over again; it’ll give you a big insight on the 10P system and it’ll improve your game like crazy. By the time 10P London opens up again you’ll be able to jump in without having to start from scratch.

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by tilok1997 View Post
    Start with the warmups (they’re available on MTS); find a drilling partner that’s also interested and go through them over and over again; it’ll give you a big insight on the 10P system and it’ll improve your game like crazy. By the time 10P London opens up again you’ll be able to jump in without having to start from scratch.
    Thanks for the reply my brother! That sounds like a good place to start!

Any more advice from anyone else?

Array

School
    Guardian MMA Murfreesboro, Tn
    Only thing to add is get in shape maybe? Sparring is one thing but competition is exhausting. For JJ in general I do rock climbing on the side with jogging and weight lifting sprinkled in when I can.

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by CullenJonesBjj View Post
    Only thing to add is get in shape maybe? Sparring is one thing but competition is exhausting. For JJ in general I do rock climbing on the side with jogging and weight lifting sprinkled in when I can.
    Good advice bro, I've currently got a HIIT routine in place to help with the cardio but it's not the first time I've heard that rock climbing is complimentary to JJ now that you mention it. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

Array

School
    Guardian MMA Murfreesboro, Tn
    I can attest that it helps grip strength. Eddie recommends break dancing actually for better fluidity of movement, but capoeira studios are easier to find and you get the same results.

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by CullenJonesBjj View Post
    I can attest that it helps grip strength. Eddie recommends break dancing actually for better fluidity of movement, but capoeira studios are easier to find and you get the same results.
    I can not dance to save my life lol but that capoeira sounds like a good idea.

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Just an update: Been watching the warms ups on the MTS videos. Drilled some of them with a friend who does BJJ earlier on today for about 4 hours. Tried to incorporate some lockdown into our sparring session afterwards and I realised I understand that you need the same side underhook but while fighting for it I couldn't seem to 'whip up'. Any one know which MTS video or youtube video troubleshoots the lockdown?

Tried to search for it using the ctrl + f function and couldn't really find anything that helped.

Thank you

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Focus on the warm ups but don’t go beyond the wall until you’ve mastered what’s in front of the wall. Don’t try to be Jon Snow too soon. Welcome to the family
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Focus on the warm ups but don’t go beyond the wall until you’ve mastered what’s in front of the wall. Don’t try to be Jon Snow too soon. Welcome to the family
    *Googles Jon Snow*

I'm watching too much MTS to watch Games of Thrones!

Thank You very much for your reply and your system. I hope you'll be dropping by to London soon brother!