Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    That guy is right about the knees. What you need for rubber guard are flexible hips and a flexible lower back. This is what gives you the range and dexterity for the RG, not flexible knees.
    +1 for Rebel Yoga. Teachin' proper RG flexibility!

Array

School
    Neil Simkin BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by The kza View Post
    In RG book it says crazy knee strech. That shit is bad for you. strech hips and ass mucles so u don't need to make ur knees sideways to make up for shit flexibility
    The Crazy Knee Stretch looks a lot like the Piriformis Stretch, which I believe stretches muscles in the hips (and lower back?). I think the Crazy Knee stretch is merely misleading name.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield, Mo.
    he's sort of right I think... my old jiu jitsu coach, who is a physical therapist, says that in the medical world.. flexible muscles and joints are considered weak muscles and joints. But, he says that he feels the way they standardize a healthy muscle or joint is flawed. According to him, because of my ability to put my feet behind my head and go into double lotus at 255lbs, makes me eligible for physical therapy treatment... not sure myself... this is just what he said

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Sisco View Post
    he's sort of right I think... my old jiu jitsu coach, who is a physical therapist, says that in the medical world.. flexible muscles and joints are considered weak muscles and joints. But, he says that he feels the way they standardize a healthy muscle or joint is flawed. According to him, because of my ability to put my feet behind my head and go into double lotus at 255lbs, makes me eligible for physical therapy treatment... not sure myself... this is just what he said
    That means you have flexible hips, lower back and gluts, not that you need rehab.

Array

School
    Academia De La Hova Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Sisco View Post
    Sounds like you were flexible since you were really young. The guy in the video is right. In your case (im assuming your this, but in general) basically your tendons and ligaments are extremely flexible, which is unnatural. It also leads your joints prone to popping and being extended too much. This condition is also known as hypermobility aka double jointedness http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility. By doing physio you would be strengthening your joints so you dont over extend. The most common case is a hypermobile person who plays tennis and constantly hurts their shoulder until they stabilize there shoulder muscles. Basically if you can do the rubberguard naturally, without working on stretching, you were most likely flexible since you were very young, due to genetic predisposition or something related to hypermobility, which is fine but you might have trouble down the line. What you really want to be doing is stretching over time to achieve that level of flexibility, like a yoga teacher would or someone who spends a tone of time stretching.

Also another thing i see alot is videos like where eddie shows the butterfly stretch pushing his knees down with his hands, which is fine if you can already bring your knees down to the mat. I see alot of people do that who are not flexible and thats actually really bad for your hips. Your putting extra stress on already stretched muscles. Just let your legs naturally stretch out and do not force anything when your stretching. Same with the knee rolling, and the one he does in the video. Alot of old school stretches you might know from that karate school or an older guy have been proven to be bad.

Ill use this an example, this girl doesn't stretch, she is naturally flexible, see the x rays of her body. Of course this is an extreme case, but no doubt she will have joint problems when she gets older.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12