Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield

[Article] Ad Infinitum (on being moved to study the 10th planet system)

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is against the forum rules. I am new here and introduced myself yesterday to the forum. I wanted to share with you the article I wrote that got me to study the 10th planet system, following the Eddie Royler 2 match. Thank you all.

http://throughjiujitsu.com/2014/03/3...-ad-infinitum/

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks San Diego
    Great read and I, also, am in a similar boat. I had seen some of his techniques prior to Metamoris, but not anything in depth. What really struck me was how Eddie carried himself and his attitude during the buildup and after the match. That's really what pulled me to dive deeper into his techniques and I'm really happy I did. Thanks for posting this.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Exactly. It was obvious Eddie clearly dominated that match. But what did was really cool - and what dispelled a lot of the misinformation (or outright lies) I've heard about him - was the magnanimous way he acted through the match. And clearly the contrast with Royler - and then Royce - was ridiculous. Anyway, thanks for reading. I look forward to being an online member here.

Array

School
    10th Planet Cookeville TN - Upper Cumberland MMA
    Great, well written read. I would have to say though, that we all got to win (which you more than alluded to when you stated both sides could claim victory).

I don't think both sides can claim victory, but certainly neither must admit a humiliating defeat. While we all look up to Eddie, it would be hard not to empathize with Royler, and even more so, Royler's students, and feel a little worried that he would be humiliated...again. We all wanted Eddie to win, and on so many levels, he did. I feel that for Royler's students, they can walk away and at least not feel totally embarrassed, while Eddie's students can claim many victories in seeing the moves and transitions we know so well displayed so effectively.

I am having a hard time articulating my thoughts here, but in short, although I was absolutely electric with anxiety watching the match, ecstatic for the good showing by Bravo, I couldn't help but feel bad for Royler's followers during the match...seeing their guy get worked like that. In a way I was happy the match ended in a "technical" draw, because I think if Eddie subbed Royler again (only by the grace of sheer adrenaline did the sub not come to pass in my opinion), the feud would have only gotten worse. With the current situation, no one can really argue the effectiveness of the 10P system (or Roylers ability to tolerate pain), but no one had to get 100% butt-hurt because their guy got subbed. In the grand scheme, I think it was better for JJ (IMHO).

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    That is a brilliant way of putting it, Brian. I see now the blessing of this type of "victory," and you're right, who knows there it'd have gone. I only wished someone was with Eddie afterwards - maybe Matt Hughes lol - as Royce approached him, butt-hurt.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Great read. Thank you.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Good read. Welcome to Nibiru.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks San Diego
    Brian, that's a great way of putting it. I agree. I couldn't help but empathize with Royler and his camp for the trememdous pressure he must have felt going into that match. But, what I can't get past is the behavior of some of the family members and even how Royler reacted when the ref was trying to reestablish the position after they were pulled back to center mat. Even, Ralek telling the ref to start them standing when that was never an option with any other Metamoris match I've seen. And, of course, the entire situation with Royce after the match was an embarrassment all around. I am a huge believer in what the Gracie's have done for all of us. I just feel like what Eddie has done...the amount of time he has obviously devoted to making jiu jitsu better, and his overall outlook and attitude deserves the recognition and thanks for his humility, respect, and gift to everyone.