School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

10th Planet is better geared towards submission only

Why? Discuss.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I think a lot of it has to do with philosophy/politics. For instance, taking someones back is considered the most dominant position by many. Followed by something like mount. So often times those are given the highest value as far as points go. But then 10th Planet has guys who prefer taking the truck over taking the back. Or the spiderweb. Or The Lockdown for example.. You would actually lose points in tournaments for going there, but when youre good at it, you also have a high percentage chance of winning from there. So we seem to work more towards "What is the best possible option to submit my opponent", rather than "Which position will get me the most points". Then again, Im just guessing. So i could also be completely wrong.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    it could possibly stem from the fact that tpjj is built from a how can i get out of the worse place and make it the best one. look at eddies style of rolling, he pulls guard jsut so he can practice getting into better positions. i think maybe because the thing that made eddies tpjj style so popular was the rubber guard and so theres a stereotype that we focus around that. but i think tpjj is better for point systems than most people believe. if not, we should look at what is working and maybe put it in.

and frankly to me jiu jitsu is wrestling with the art of finishing it off. techniques that work to stop ur opponent with technique rather than strength. so i dunno if there is a large difference here but i think points jiu jitsu is missing the point of jiu jitsu rather than tpjj not being suited towards it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Richmond
    Probably from the fact that we are trying to reach a dead zone (spiderweb, the truck, ect) like posted above, to where your opponent is pretty much screwed from that position, there's nothing really they can do. Also the way my instructor describes the rubber guard as levels to a video game, the further you go into it the harder it is for them to get out, increasing your chances for a submission.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I would say (in my limited 2-3 yrs of jitsu with 10thpjj as my main focus) is that it can be either or-I have a few kids I roll with where a lot of times I end up sweeping them or getting into a potential deadzone (I just haven't been able to finish them yet). But we've all seen how often u can finish people using the system as well. So, I think 10thpjj can go either or.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Even the philosophy at the core of the 10p system is geared toward the finish. Our control positions are based on isolation and finishing. Where in other grappling systems they would like to use a position like the back, we would use the truck.

I would much rather use a position geared towards isolation than control. Just because I can mount a guy, does not mean the fight is over.

He can get extremely tight and make it very hard for me to finish. In order to submit someone, they have to be opened up. Something has to be exposed for there to be an opening to submit.

If you have never experienced this or if its hard to imagine, next time you are in the gym, simply ball up as tight as possible and have a training partner try to submit you. Don't try to defend submissions, just simply try to stay as tight as you possibly can in a ball.

You will notice people doing this at the higher levels. Ryron gracie talks about this. It was his strategy at the metamoris event. Just surviving and waiting for your opponent to get tired or to open themselves for you.

Now, with that being said, 10th planet focuses on keeping something separated from the very beginning. We take an inch, and slowly over time, turn it into a mile. It's one of the things that drew me to 10p. We don't ever allow them to get to that place of safety.

This philosophy can be seen very clearly in the way we play our positions. Think of any one of our positions and look for the isolated limb. Lockdown, RG, the truck, spider web, prison guard. It's all there.

We take it, clinch it, then tear it off. I love it

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Great points! I really think 10th Planet could still do well in points tournaments because of the fact I don't think any 10p head has the mentality to get the 1 advantage then stall. I've heard a lot of talk about sub only being the best way to go but I didnt really understand why. The only tournament that really follows the sub only now is the Nationals and Worlds right?
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Great points! I really think 10th Planet could still do well in points tournaments because of the fact I don't think any 10p head has the mentality to get the 1 advantage then stall. I've heard a lot of talk about sub only being the best way to go but I didnt really understand why. The only tournament that really follows the sub only now is the Nationals and Worlds right?
    Yes, but we are seeing a huge surge of small time sub only tourneys popping up everywhere

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Allen View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with philosophy/politics. For instance, taking someones back is considered the most dominant position by many. Followed by something like mount. So often times those are given the highest value as far as points go. But then 10th Planet has guys who prefer taking the truck over taking the back. Or the spiderweb. Or The Lockdown for example.. You would actually lose points in tournaments for going there, but when youre good at it, you also have a high percentage chance of winning from there. So we seem to work more towards "What is the best possible option to submit my opponent", rather than "Which position will get me the most points". Then again, Im just guessing. So i could also be completely wrong.

I dig it.