Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ

Rogan says the best way to get good at BJJ is to ...

Rogan says the best way to get good at BJJ is to roll with people below your level. "beat up on bluebelts" was roughly the quote.

Do people agree/disagree with this?

If you're a purple belt, should you be rolling with black and brown, or blue and white? Obviously both, but if you had to pick between the two?

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne
    I think it depends what you're working on. If you need to polish your finishing, you're not going to get good opportunities to do that against higher belts. Likewise if you're working in a new technique, going after it against a lower rank will give you more time/windows to work through any roadblocks, and if you get reversed you've got a much better chance to get back to that spot.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne & Perth Hotbox
    I think rolling with lower belts is great for improving your attacking transitions and submissions, while with higher belts it is more about improving defensive capabilities, blocking their attacking opportunities and regaining advantageous positions or counter attacking, althought the window of opportunity will be much smaller. For example winning or regaining an underhook against a higher ranked person can be a battle in itself, where as with a lower belt that same battle may be transitioning from twister side into the truck then taking the back. I agree with Anthony though it does depend on what you are working and what your aim is.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    The best way to improve is to stay consistent.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Beat up on guys below your level to polish your submissions and transitions. Roll with guys above you to sharpen your guard retention and submission defense. There really is no magic formula other than getting in as much mat time as possible against all types of opponents.
    The Name is Nick Paul

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Matt time is key. Having a weekly or even monthly concept that your executing while rolling is important. Make sure you're rolling with a purpose (Not just to get taps) Flow days like I call them are awesome for a couple classes a week, just make sure you come ready to work on a position, pass, or chain. That's where I see the most progress

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Noormets View Post
    I think rolling with lower belts is great for improving your attacking transitions and submissions, while with higher belts it is more about improving defensive capabilities, blocking their attacking opportunities and regaining advantageous positions or counter attacking, althought the window of opportunity will be much smaller. For example winning or regaining an underhook against a higher ranked person can be a battle in itself, where as with a lower belt that same battle may be transitioning from twister side into the truck then taking the back. I agree with Anthony though it does depend on what you are working and what your aim is.
    This ^^^

Joe was talking about improving your offense
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    Beat up on guys below your level to polish your submissions and transitions. Roll with guys above you to sharpen your guard retention and submission defense. There really is no magic formula other than getting in as much mat time as possible against all types of opponents.
    Well put sir.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    This ^^^

Joe was talking about improving your offense
    +1

He was for sure talking about improving your techniques by hitting them on Blue belts
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast