Array

School
    First Light, Hood River, OR

Tips for finishing the Flytrap?

I'm hitting this a lot on people and getting taps on panicky whitebelts but any experienced partners are saying it is uncomfortable and cranky but nowhere near a good blood choke. Any tips on the finishing the Flytrap cleanly?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    I think the reason for the lack of replies is that most people don't go for this submission. I rarely see anyone in our gym go for it. Since I'm one of the newer people I get my guard passed constantly so I throw up the fly trap almost every time. Being lanky seems to help. If I get my neck frame in early so they cant stay high on me and crush my chest down then I can get it locked in almost every time I actually go for it. Problem is I've yet to tap anyone. I can cause pain and get their head stuck for awhile though.

On the side I've tested the squeeze and had people tap but never in a live roll yet. I hesitate to give any tips since it sounds like you already have a little bit better squeeze than me but the one thing I've noticed is that I seem to get better pressure when I make sure I push my top leg as far across the back of their head as I can before grabbing it with my neck frame hand. Unlike mission control where my hand is usually on my ankle, I'm aiming to grab much farther up my leg which also leaves room for the figure 4 lock to come in.

The videos where JV is doing it he doesn't seem to have to do that, but then again he has tree trunks for legs compared to me. Maybe I just need more smoke in my leg curls

Array

School
    First Light, Hood River, OR
    Thanks for the input. I was just thinking about that exact thing you mentioned, grabbing farther up the shin. I'll be trying that soon. Another thing that has helped recently is getting the elbow in the neck, not the forearm, and then bicep curling down. It gives a better angle into the carotid rather than just squeezing into the neck muscles.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    Ha, finished one tonight at open mat! It all happened so fast I couldn't tell exactly what positioning I had, but the angle with how much his head was turned away seemed different than usual and he tapped way earlier than I expected so I guess you either have it or you don't. I asked the guy and he said the lights were going out and it wasn't a crank/crush.