Thread: Knee surgery

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass

Knee surgery

I'm about to get acl surgery within the next 30-90 days. Has anyone already had the, patella graft, surgery and noticed any limitations in flexibility or use after a full recovery?

Array

School
    Sacramento
    What's up brotha,

I'm currently 4 1/2 months out from Surgery but i chose the Hamstring Graft. My surgeon recommended this since one when i told him i train jiu jitsu. My range of motion is actually a little bit better on the leg that i had surgery on and have no problems with flexibility. As long as you are consistent with the exercises they give you, you should be fine. The only thing with the patella graft i heard is that kneeling will be a little bit painful. Right now i've been able to drill and light roll hoping to be return to regular training in August. Best of luck man !

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamilton NZ
    Hey Josh, I got my ACL repaired using the patella graft. I did the pre-hab and rehab religiously and haven't really had any limitations or problems with the knee. It gets a bit achy from time to time because of running, but it's not too bad really. I did a heap of flexibility work in the 9 months after the surgery - but most of the issue was straightening and getting a small hyper-extension back in the knee. I had the surgery in August 2004, ran a half marathon in October that year and it's been fine with jiu-jitsu (in the last 18 months or so - so not exactly high level stuff). I think following doctors orders was crucial.

Hope this helps.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    I got a partial tear in my mcl and acl, I'm gonna get stem cell and prp injections
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Oh one other weird thing I learned not during that recovery but another when I had an MCL strain and lower back strain at the same time - excruciating pain - that took about 8 weeks recovery.

Hydration. Drinking enough H2O speeds muscle recovery and aids in stretching and exercising the muscle and ligaments.

I saw a remarkable difference in pain, recovery, and ability to stretch and exercise with proper hydration. I found it due to a 2 week period where I was slightly dehydrated, and it sucked a lot.