Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    No offense inteneded but.. Why put music on a video like that? I can't be the only person who immediately killed the sound. And I don't mean that song in particular, I mean any song. If the point is to check out technique, what's the point of music?

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    You act like she's experimenting with drugs. It's just rubber guard.

She's doin great.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Ric: sorry for the music, you see, my daughter has all these music she and her mom down loaded and many of which I've already use in her other vids, so this was the one that I haven't use. I can only listen to so much Justin Bieber and Rocky music...lol Remember she is a 9 year old girl who enjoy music and Jui Jitsu, so I was trying to combine the 2 things that she like to do. Believe me, you won't want to listen to her fighter with the background music of Whitney Houston "I have nothing"....lol Besides if I don't cover out the gym noise with music, you will hear crazy parents shouting out ridiculous instructions to their kids while they spar. And not to mention my 1 year old son crying his butt off because I won't give him the camera to eat.....lol

As far as the rubber guard goes, we are training really hard for NAGA on dec 16th. I would like her have a better handle on the Carni, gogoplata, and omoplata by that time. I since told her not to do the triangle anymore since she's already killing kids with it, just work on the one she hasn't master yet. Yesterday I found Judo Jake's vid on the omoplata to monoplata and been working on that. After an hour she was able to go from omoplata to monoplata to armbar, as the monoplata might be too rough for kids.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Awesome skills, she will be a legend in no time ;D

Array

School
    lol you caught on to that huh?? I have to find ways to keep things fresh and interesting for her. At one point, we did a point system so that it reinforce her to use the techniques that are being taugh. And I even go as far as to put a bounty on the boys. 1 point for tapping out a white belt, 2 for yellow, 3 for orange, and 4 for green. And double those points if she use the new techniques. and points deduction if she gets tap out by them, this way not only she know how to tap someone out, but also escape whatever is thrown at her. Well after 3 months of intensive training (2-3 hours / day) this past summer, her skills improved dramatically to what they are now. And at the end of the month, we total all her points to do whatever she wants to do. WHatever she wants to do has a point valve also. So if she wants to go see a movie, that's $40 for all of us, so she needs 40 points. That also help her with her math as she will need to figure out how many kids to tap out so she can go to the movie...lol I know its cruel, but it works. So in essense, she's already a prize fighter...lol Now training is not training anymore, it has become a part of our lifestyle. And I have lifted the bounty system, no more bounty on the boys cus she's tapping them out every night. I would be broke if i keep the bounty system. I've shared this bounty system with other parents at the gym and they say that it works for them as well.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Holy shit man, that is intense. (In reference to your point reward system and her full engagement in the system)

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    lol yes that was intense work out everyday for her. Before summer starts, I told her to make a list of all the boys she want to catch up with and a list of what she wants to do for fun. So she wrote down her goals, she basically wrote down all the boys who has a higher belt than her. This was when she's a white belt. ANd also she wanted to learn 7 songs by the end of summer. Also during this summer we started the tournament so we can test out what she learned. At some point during all of this, something inside of her click and she begin to love it even more. You see, I had to go to extreme to keep her in the game. Alot of kids come and go in this 2 years that we been in it. And most of the reason for them not staying is that they don't learn fast enough or they fail to understand the whole picture. So when kids don't do well, the parents put more pressure on them to do well, and sometimes pressure is good, but most times it kills any hope for the kid. Also most parents don't take the time to understand this game. They see their kids get tap out and choke out once to many times so they quit. I know that my daughter will get beat many times over before she will get any better. And I told her to be patience because she is the boys practice dummy and that soon other new kids will be her practice dummy. Its the life cycle of this sport. But at the same time, I want to cheat the system a little by training her hard at home so that she can catch up with them faster. So at the gym, they usually teach 2 technique per week to over 30 kids. But at home each week she would learn 10 techniques. I even recruited her bigger cousins for sparring match at home. Little by little she got stronger, more flexible, and about to process techniques faster and faster. For every techniques they teach at the gym, we come home that night and look on youtube on ways to escape it. So little by little those boys can't tap her out anymore. Once she have the confidence that she can't be tap out, she enjoy the sparring session and start to attack with the techniques we work on at home. All of this lead us to the rubber guard at where we are now.....

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    lol you caught on to that huh?? I have to find ways to keep things fresh and interesting for her. At one point, we did a point system so that it reinforce her to use the techniques that are being taugh. And I even go as far as to put a bounty on the boys. 1 point for tapping out a white belt, 2 for yellow, 3 for orange, and 4 for green. And double those points if she use the new techniques. and points deduction if she gets tap out by them, this way not only she know how to tap someone out, but also escape whatever is thrown at her. Well after 3 months of intensive training (2-3 hours / day) this past summer, her skills improved dramatically to what they are now. And at the end of the month, we total all her points to do whatever she wants to do. WHatever she wants to do has a point valve also. So if she wants to go see a movie, that's $40 for all of us, so she needs 40 points. That also help her with her math as she will need to figure out how many kids to tap out so she can go to the movie...lol I know its cruel, but it works. So in essense, she's already a prize fighter...lol Now training is not training anymore, it has become a part of our lifestyle. And I have lifted the bounty system, no more bounty on the boys cus she's tapping them out every night. I would be broke if i keep the bounty system. I've shared this bounty system with other parents at the gym and they say that it works for them as well.
    Rewarding someone for something they already enjoy doing is the perfect way to kill motivation. After a while, the motivation will change be to receive the reward rather than in this case, the intrinsic reward of just doing jiu jitsu. Being punished by getting tapped by people isn't a great idea either.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    be careful that you arent teachig her to keep track of who she taps and who she is tapped by. the ego is hard to tame when it gets out of control.

Array

School
    Zach: I understand where you coming from bro. But you obviously don't have a little 10 year old daughter like I do. This girl loves JJ, but she still wants reward and recognition for it also... Hell if she have it her way, she would want some reward for going to bed on time...lol

Sean: don't worry about this girl's ego, because daddy have a mean back hand and yes I do have a black belt to accompany that also... i'm from the old school brother. But she's basically an angel. We haven't had any problem at all since she started having more discipline due to JJ training. She knows what is her limit. We used to keep that bounty system, but not anymore. SHe is passing a lot of the kids at the gym now so if I would have that bounty system still, I would be broke. THe only one that we are going after now is her friend Anthony and he's very very good and is very discipline. Not to mention trains just as hard as her and with his size, he is going to be hard to catch up. Not to take it the wrong way, we need someone like him, someone that is the next level to help her stay motivated to train hard. Just like a kid with a basketball, wanting to be like Mike. THat is the reason why we are traveling now to find kids at that next level. Right now we are just training blindly, not knowing what she can become, but if we run into a kid that really put a whoopin on her, then we know that is the next level. And last week we got just that. We found a kid that put a whoopin on her and now we are training hard in hope to one day meet him again. Since her very first tourament lost, she have avenged all her lost and have surpassed them through hard training. Its our system and its working...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12