Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin

Return from ACL reconstruction

Hello my fellow 10p Soldiers!

I am recovering from my second time blowing out my ACL(Hamstring graft first time 5 years ago, Patella this time) and am 8 months post surgery(This time there was horrible damage to my meniscus though). I am working hard on getting my knee up to scratch to get back on the mat and being a lot older than the first time I blew out my knee I have to do this recovery right if I want to keep doing Jits in for the foreseeable future.

I am doing good for the recovery but I am reaching out to anyone who has gone through this and returned to Jits.

1) what exercises helped you condition for jits?

2) are there any tools or aids that can accelerate recovery?

3) Is there anything specific to the Patella tendon?

Thanks in advance!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Good questions that I will probably need the answers too, that is if I find out Monday that I blew my acl out
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Brutal, That is shitty news....

I am sure I could fill you in on some recovery protocols and Prehab stuff if you do need Surgery. I have had 3 surgery's total on my left knee and Returned to sport for all of them.

Fingers crossed and hoping the best for you Sensei. Please keep me posted or shoot me a PM if you need anything.

I had ACL Patella tendon replacement + meniscus repair on L knee in 2008. Total time to 100% recovery 9 months. About 4 months to functional mobility but knee couldn't be kneeled upon from 4 months to about 8 months. I was training in class technique 10 days after surgery just doing movements. After 1 month was rolling, partners were cool let me move and explore and heal without pressure. I still have habits protecting the left side from this time.

1) My ortho doc has a torturous PT partner - exercises to maintain range of motion and flexibility. Broke down areas that tried to harden up and lose range of motion. Massage and flexibility. Work on stretching the affected knee a couple times a day at least.

Other than faithfulness to a good physical therapy routine, and more stretching than normal people, the warmups probably will suffice for getting BJJ body movement going.

2) I got this ice chest that looked like an Igloo 6 pack cooler and had a motor and a tube out to a knee wrap. Constant flowing ice water on the knee. The coolers are better now.

3) Patella = more patience. It's a sturdy repair and I'm happy - I have 100% wrestling shot ability in that knee. But it will be more tender from like 4 or 5 months when everything else is healing up to like 8 months maybe until you can fully drop to your knees and have it not be tender any more from my experience. Stretch it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Thank you heaps for the advice Dan, I got a cryocuff like you have from my first surgery and it's a big help. Good to know your timeline as I feel good now at 8 months but still a bit tender on the patellar tendon on my knees and a bit tough when trying to sit on my heels on my left side.

Thanks for the input!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Great advice thank you
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie