Array

School
    Adam Ryan MMA/Chekmat Vancouver

Jiu Jitsu and Concussions

My story here is I am a concussion prone person , which sucks, because I can't really spar in Muay Thai anymore , because a nice hit to the head and I am done. With Jiu Jitsu , I know my chances are much less for a hit in the head , but there is still a chance. Is there any type of head gear for grappling /Jiu Jitsu for this type of situation ? I know there is head gear to protect cauliflower ears.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    I don't think so just the ones for the ears.

You could wear boxing head gear.

I've never seen any concussions unless you're being thrown really hard. I've had my nose broken once by a spastic person who shot for a double leg takedown to try and pass my guard and they head butted me, other then that the hardest i've been hit in the head was by my own knee when I was escaping someones back hook.

Just wrap yourself in bubblewrap

Wear a mouth guard when rolling or competing. It will greatly reduce the chances of you being concussed. And no I've never heard of a concussion in BJJ.. If you get one make sure you buy a lottery ticket later that day.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    you can definitely wear boxing headgear but then you're gonna be prone to guillotines and triangles... this will then up your defense for them as well.
    After 1000's of matches, the situation that would probably put you in a concussion is heels from your other training partners coming at you, or holding someone in a triangle and then pick you up only to drop you to your back, and finally not jumping to guard correctly. If you can limit these scenarios, you should be okay.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    don't attempt any flying submissions or jumping guard, that's usually when my head hits the floor.

Array

School
    Adam Ryan MMA/Chekmat Vancouver
    cool, thanks for the tips guys !!

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    I've seen three concussions, all from flying armbars.