Array

School
    Non 10thPlanet

10thplanet Blue Belt requeriments

Hi brothers,
    Im Milo from Spain. Actually white belt 2nd stripe practicing Jiujitsu over a year.

I would like to know which are those technics a blue belt of 10thplanet must know.
    Id like to practice it because at the end of the year Im moving to London so I want to join and dont be so beginner.

Thanks in advance!

Array

School
    Ronin
    I wrote this a while back... might help:

If you want to see the heritage then I'd say get Eddie's Three Books and Two DVDs to begin with. Work through them.

At the same time, begin work on the Warmups. Learn them, make them fluid. Eddie has tried to cover all bases with these - i.e. give students a little experience with everything (useful both when attacking and defending).

Watch Mastering The System - for fun. You will get a feel for Eddie's teaching style, believes and the 10th Planet culture. The biggest lesson I ever learned was from, what I imagine, was a throw away comment by Eddie 'Do not be the triangle guy'. I'd won many competitions relying on my triangle, Eddie's words and the explanation that followed showed me there was so much more to Jiu Jitsu than the triangle and I was holding myself back by clinging to my safety blanket.

If you do all this you will begin to see that Eddie's System has lots of patterns (the clinch style, for example), but also lots of tangents that you can - and are encouraged - to follow too. Orchard is a very different competitor to Denny, Denny very different to Geo, Geo very different to Ben Eddy, etc, etc.

I think what is so great with 10th Planet is that there is no curriculum - Eddie is all about evolution and as soon as you say 'you need to know this, this, this and this' you begin to narrow that or at least stunt experimentation. Again, using Orchard as an example, Eddie said he was never big on footlocker: Orchard went away and mastered them, came back to Eddie and blew his mind with a system he'd put together. The result of Eddie not enforcing a curriculum on his students was that he and they evolved and grew and continue to do so whilst other gyms - stemmed in tradition, and refusing to acknowledge techniques outside of their curriculums - are being left behind.

In terms of getting a blue belt if you re looking to train at a 10th Planet gym you will quickly see the level of blue belts and look to get to a position you are competitive with them - more importantly with 10th planet, it seems, is that you compete and show your level of competitive Jiu Jitsu.

That's coming at ya purely as an observation from a white belt ronin, so take it with a pinch of salt

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    I've always had the attitude that you are what you can handle. When I started to consistently run through the white belts in my class and competitions, I felt like a top lvl white belt. I would consistently get smashed by blue belts, but one day they couldn't smash me. I wasn't winning but neither were they. I felt like a blue and my instructor did as well. I didn't ask for it because it the grand scheme it didn't matter, I rolled and had fun. Pretty soon I was back and forth with blues. I took 6 years off of JJ due to military and no gyms around. I just got back into it two months now, I get smashed by some whites and most the blues, I wear white belt to school because I feel like that's where I am at even though I have a blue. Until I polish back up and my new instructor thinks it's appropriate, I'll continue to wear a white belt. Just learn and have fun, the rest will fall into place. Just my two cents

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    warm up mastery=legit

Array

School
    10th Planet London/Smauglys Vilnius
    Dude, you'll love it at 10p London!

Array

School
    Non 10thPlanet
    Thanks bro!!! See you there!

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    All of the above is good advice but the one thing that wasn't mentioned was competing. Eddie looks for his people to compete as well as master the warm ups. Continue to seek self improvement, compete as often as possible, master the warm ups, demonstrate your ability to instruct, be extremely knowledgeable of 10P technic, and NEVER ask when you are going to get promoted and you will do fine. It'll happen when it happens.

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    ^agreed

Array

School
    Non 10thPlanet
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywatkins67 View Post
    All of the above is good advice but the one thing that wasn't mentioned was competing. Eddie looks for his people to compete as well as master the warm ups. Continue to seek self improvement, compete as often as possible, master the warm ups, demonstrate your ability to instruct, be extremely knowledgeable of 10P technic, and NEVER ask when you are going to get promoted and you will do fine. It'll happen when it happens.
    Thanks for words.

Array

School
    Non 10thPlanet
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikLavigne View Post
    I've always had the attitude that you are what you can handle. When I started to consistently run through the white belts in my class and competitions, I felt like a top lvl white belt. I would consistently get smashed by blue belts, but one day they couldn't smash me. I wasn't winning but neither were they. I felt like a blue and my instructor did as well. I didn't ask for it because it the grand scheme it didn't matter, I rolled and had fun. Pretty soon I was back and forth with blues. I took 6 years off of JJ due to military and no gyms around. I just got back into it two months now, I get smashed by some whites and most the blues, I wear white belt to school because I feel like that's where I am at even though I have a blue. Until I polish back up and my new instructor thinks it's appropriate, I'll continue to wear a white belt. Just learn and have fun, the rest will fall into place. Just my two cents
    I really apreciate words. Thank you.