Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    MAS Academy Cambridge

Constructive Criticism for EBI 3 - 20/20 Hindsight (Minor Spoilers)

This event was awesome and really played out well when watching from beginning to end. The last EBI's were caught by me on a match by match basis and I can attest to the experience being far better this time around. With this format being as sick as it is, I want (like you) for this tourny to be the best it can be.

I do have a couple (relatively small) criticisms that I would like to hear some thoughts on. In no particular order,

(1) the replays could be improved significantly: more time spent on the replay would be nice, since the submissions are really the payoff. I feel that the replays started too close to the submission itself, I want to see maybe 5-7 seconds before that. Also, slo-mo please just like UFC replays. Ideally maybe the clip right through to submission, then a slo-mo clip and then a fast clip about the length of the current ones. This would facilitate better commentary. The commentator would say "take us through this submission" and the other guy would already be out of time and really be unable to offer much insight in that window. He should be able to comment on something, and then we see it a second time.

(2) get an announcer who knows the names of BJJ gyms: Pretty self explanatory. I would totally rather someone with legitimate charisma then that suit-n-tie announcer dude. Someone who could keep the action going without stomping on the commentary. You know, like the hype man from your local jitsu club aha.

(3) Tell me about that Cash-Money: I think the cash incentive was only brought up in the very first match as a reason to finish before overtime. Then it was brought up when Tonon and Cummings were facing eachother. Other then that nothing. put those $$$ up on the screen, or put them on the lines in the bracket screen. heck, make cash fall from the sky I just want to know who's getting what and what's on the line. As they set up for the overtime (like 5-10seconds) it would be nice for something to be said like, "neither of these competitors will be getting the submission money for this round, but they are going to overtime to see who moves on".

(4) I didn't know who the guy from Atos was, and I clearly still don't since I haven't named him here. But I got that like awkward cringe feeling when the one announcer guy kept trying to emphasize the fact that he was "unknown" despite the fact that every other person seemed to be trying to tell him to tone that down a bit. I don't really stand by this criticism, its just a feeling I got that I didn't enjoy aha.

That's all I can recall as of now, I had a few more that I may or may not remember in the future. please let me know if you disagree, I must accept criticism of my criticism.

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast
    Production value- of course this was a small budget event, so I knew the replays and stuff weren't going to be great, but there were other things like the kids superfights were matched up wrong on the bracket, and I think they got fighter's names wrong a couple times.
    Kids fights- I like the idea, I think it would be better though if they were women's superfights.
    Overall great event

the only thing that stood out to me was the announcer. Awkward mispronunciations and a few mistakes.

on an unrelated note, going forward, I will def be using the phrase "these guys are lawyers"

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Overall great show:

1- Announcer stood out to me as well
    2- Live stream was great quality but pausing didn't work for me. When I paused it and then resumed play it went live.
    3- I felt like I couldn't walk away from the TV without missing something (even to pee or get a drink). The three hours flew by extremely fast and I'm not sure how you could have shortened the show at all to allow intermission without dumping the kids fights but I really wanted to see them too Show was so good I didn't want to miss a thing, I guess that is nothing to complain about and being able to pause the stream and resume where you left off would fix this.
    4- This may get me booed but.. I feel like if Hinger won it would have been really bad for the show. His game seemed very conservative and he was not taking any risks. Also, am I the only one who thought he seemed much larger than Tonon and Orchard (were there same day weigh-ins or maybe he just has that Cheick Kongo build)? Hinger is obviously a BAMF but he was not exciting to me or the 8 people at my house watching. In all fairness he did say this was his 1st sub only tournament which shocked me considering he is a black belt, maybe now that he has a sub only under his belt he will start opening up his game.
    Last edited by Martin Harris; 03-24-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Harris View Post
    His game seemed very conservative and he was not taking any risks. .
    Never blame the athletes, always blame the rules. He was conservative, for sure. That's because winning EBI3 was more important than $10,000.

This problem has been discussed and most people seem to think it will go away completely when the pot gets big enough. Just need $100,000 pot and people will be leaving that shit on the mat in regulation.

Plus we'll have a 16 man bracket full of world champions.... just need a bigger pot. THat has to be as high a priority as production quality, if not more.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 03-24-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Never blame the athletes, always blame the rules. He was conservative, for sure. That's because winning EBI3 was more important than $10,000.

This problem has been discussed and most people seem to think it will go away completely when the pot gets big enough. Just need $100,000 pot and people will be leaving that shit on the mat in regulation.

Plus we'll have a 16 man bracket full of world champions.... just need a bigger pot. THat has to be as high a priority as production quality, if not more.
    yes. People will play within the rules. Hell, even Denny Prokopos said that he tried to wait to get the Finals of EBI 2 to Overtime because he knew he'd have the advantage there. I thought Josh Hinger rode the line. A lot of it is just his style. He gets a lot of guillotine finishes but wasn't able to secure any at EBI 3.

Or how about if the fighters could have a walkout song like the UFC and have someone behind them hold a banner with all their sponsors too

Array

School
    10th Planet Austin
    As far as commentators Im under the unsterstamding Scot Ross & Erik Cruz were commentating. These guys know their shit when it comes to jiu jitsu in general. Not trying to sound like a dick but these two have forgotten more jiu jitsu than most will ever learn. I know Scott personally & if you studied the system more than 10minutes you've heard of Compella. I never heard the commentating from back stage but I know 100% it was professional
    http://www.phalanxfc.com[/url]
    submissionchallenge.com/
    Savage Essentials Homemade Soaps

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by john harris & sons View Post
    these two have forgotten more jiu jitsu than most will ever learn. I know Scott personally & if you studied the system more than 10minutes you've heard of Compella.
    Well being good at jiu jitsu, or being knowledgeable about it, are not necessarily the same thing as being a good commentator for it. They did an OK job. But it was tight, a little awkward, with some pretty big goof ups. There were a few times where I was kind of embarrassed for them, and other times when I thought they were great.. funny, insightful, smart. It was kinda mixed for me.

It was like purple belt level commentary.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 03-24-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    The announcers were adequate. Their charisma shined through and they were easy to listen to. Metamoris had Rener do the first couple before upgrading to Kenny Florian. This type of action could be up for debate, but where I'd like to see them improve is knowing the specifics of each fighter. Talk about each guys lineage, credentials, belt rank, background, even the less heralded guys. If a dude competes mma, like Richie, how does he do in mma? What qualifications does each guy bring to the table? They are naturals, though they wouldn't hurt themselves by doing more homework. I liked them overall though.

The pausing thing that would go live was a little annoying. But if I remember correctly, I was able to rewind so nbd, but it seems like an easy glitch to fix.

I liked the setup of the mats, how we were able to see coaches like Galvao or Keenan on the sideline. It's cool to have that, sorta, 'VIP' section, no need to get rid of that. Gives that 'jiu jitsu' feel to it. But some might disagree. All about the commish's point of view

I guess the biggest constructive thing to say is to keep hunting and trolling for more talent. All this is is a race for talent. There are so many unsung brown and black belt BEASTS that just don't put themselves out there. By networking, keeping keen eyes out, these forums, what have you....there can continue to be a good hunt for talent. The more talent, the more sponsors, the more interest, the bigger the pot, the bigger the matches, ultimately leading to what Metamoris and EBI are both shooting for as their ultimate goal. Bring in Marcelo.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast