Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    AVK Submission Grappling

Fade to Black DVD's Brandon Quick Question

Awhile back I thought about buying the Fade to Black DVD's. I see online how some people thought they where overpriced because Brandon Quick was teaching the chokes, and they must not have done any research on him prior to buying the dvd and where disappointed and said it was false advertising. I do not question his ability but would like to know peoples opinion of the dvd's. I understand there was a delimna about his rank and that, but I'm more interested in if they are worth the price tag for what they are?

Array

School
    Pardee Combat/CoringaoBJJ (Future home of 10th Planet Jiujitsu Ballground, GA)
    The BQ vids, arent bad, but your better off going to mmavault.com and renting them....a choke is a choke, regardless of who is teaching them. Im not A BQ fan, but the series isnt horrid...lots better than the 9th Dimenson rubber guard....lol

Array

School
    Huntsville Jiu Jitsu
    Frankly I think Quick's choke series is decent, but I wouldnt put a penny in his pocket after all the BS he pulled.

And dear LORD @ Nth dimension...thats just a painfully blatent rip off. No respect for him after that.

Array

School
    AVK Submission Grappling
    I appreciate the advice guys I think I will do what Coringao told me and go to mmavault, and you're right a choke is a choke I didn't know if there was anything special to them. I wouldn't spend a dime on th 9th dimension dvds especially after having Eddies Rubber Guard DVD's which definately wasn't a waste nor where his books.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    i have the BQ set. it's pretty good. the problem i have with it is that it isn't very detailed. it has TONS of chokes on it, though. be prepared to take what he shows and have to look for the important details yourself.

alder showed me the can crusher and gave me the crucial details of it, and that made the BQ DVDs a whole lot more useful.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Pardee Combat/CoringaoBJJ (Future home of 10th Planet Jiujitsu Ballground, GA)
    Thts with most any video set though, You really need a good instructor to point out the little details along the way. Im all about details. The more the better, so tht I can get full grasp of technique. I remember whn the first sets of BJJ/ Jiujitsu vids started hitting selves... some were unbelievable, some r just forgotten... Im not a 9th D fan at ALL....tht was joke...

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Coringao View Post
    Thts with most any video set though, You really need a good instructor to point out the little details along the way. Im all about details. The more the better, so tht I can get full grasp of technique. I remember whn the first sets of BJJ/ Jiujitsu vids started hitting selves... some were unbelievable, some r just forgotten... Im not a 9th D fan at ALL....tht was joke...
    yeah, but some instructionals are very detailed and you can learn the finer points of a technique just by hearing the teacher wax eloquently on something he is passionate about. i think Eddie's DVDs are good examples of this. other great instructionals that you can actually pick up details from:

1. Gracie Combatives
    2. Maia's Science of Jiu Jitsu
    3. There is an old DVD with Renzo and Kukuk that I think is fantastic.
    4. Carlos Machado Infinite Jiu Jitsu

Quick looked like he had memorized a lot of chokes, but hadn't been using them long enough to understand the weight distribution and angles sometimes.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

With the Nth Dimension videos, there are a few details or points that are indeed useful, i.e. good underhooks vs. bad underhooks or good and bad angles in which to pass a guard going for a darce. And the first disc on back attacks are useful.

And yes, the twister or truck explanations, and what Drysdale calls rubber guard are lacking, of course from our perspective, but not totally useless. But there are hidden gems of information on the six disc set.

On another note, I heard (can't even remember from where) that Mastering the RG is the best selling BJJ DVD set of all time.
    Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Array

School
    10th Planet VistA
    The craziest part is if you pre ordered the dvd, you received a free BLACK 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu D.F.W t-shirt! I wore it one day while rolling with Bollinger, and he was giving me the craziest look! I was like "WHAT?!". Never hit me till right then! LMAO!

^^ They still give out that t-shirt??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast