Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round

Is this legal in youth BJJ?

Morigan hits this move naturally as it's also a basic pin in wrestling and I was curious if it is legal as a submission in youth BJJ.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    I would check with someone in each tournament as rules can change, especially for kids, but as far as I can tell if you explain it as an air choke which i would say it is because thats what its affecting then I think you should be able to use it. to be honest, I think most refs would think you just have a tight judo side and the other guy tapped out to nothing. which works aswell.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Let me start by saying I have limited knowledge of youth tournaments.
    However, based on my understanding...

It really depends on the tournament and rule set.
    The thing I believe you are looking for is whether each tournament allows for a:
    Neck crank WITHOUT choke.

This was illegal in a few adult tournaments I have even participated in, because it's considered to not be a choke but rather a pure neck crank. Notice how he is cranking his neck but the arm isn't cutting off blood or air to the right side of his opponent, unlike an arm triangle.

Some tournaments will still allow this, especially if they favor grappling vs pure jiu jitsu.
    Many will not allow this.
    Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with the youth levels can give a more definitive answer, too.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by stan myaskovskiy View Post
    Let me start by saying I have limited knowledge of youth tournaments.
    However, based on my understanding...

It really depends on the tournament and rule set.
    The thing I believe you are looking for is whether each tournament allows for a:
    Neck crank WITHOUT choke.

This was illegal in a few adult tournaments I have even participated in, because it's considered to not be a choke but rather a pure neck crank. Notice how he is cranking his neck but the arm isn't cutting off blood or air to the right side of his opponent, unlike an arm triangle.

Some tournaments will still allow this, especially if they favor grappling vs pure jiu jitsu.
    Many will not allow this.
    Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with the youth levels can give a more definitive answer, too.

See i disagree because I dont think you have to pull on the neck at all. instead of pulling at the top of the head if you pull at the neck then it leaves the neck alone completely. still gets the tap. the tap comes from compressing the movement of the diaphragm and stopping breathing that way.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    See i disagree because I dont think you have to pull on the neck at all. instead of pulling at the top of the head if you pull at the neck then it leaves the neck alone completely. still gets the tap. the tap comes from compressing the movement of the diaphragm and stopping breathing that way.
    It really depends on application. Sure, if its a body compress like the body triangle i personally would say legal.
    However the one time it came up in one of our tournaments it was used as a neck crank primarily.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    It's not a neck crank unless your arm pulls across the head. Most kids tournaments don't allow the pulling of the head in any direction. This is a perfectly legal move, it's kesa gatame, done at judo tournaments for kids as young as 4-5 years old. It's actually really encouraged to do this as it's an effective pin, and you can win a match with a 25 second pin in judo. Barnett's version is really hard to hit; the modifications the video addresses are on point, but you really have to have certain attributes like Barnett to pull it off, IMHO. Maybe one or two guys at my gym could do it consistently.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Some of you may have already seen this but it's from the Great Lakes Camp. My daughter is the one in the black wrestling headgear. She hits something like this a few different times during the roll. Just want to be sure if she does that in a youth BJJ tournament she isn't going to get DQed for it.