Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys

Ryron rolling w/commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEYFi...layer_embedded

Ryron rolling with a purple belt from one of the east coast gracie academy's I think.

I am watching the video and I see that they are going %50 or less at all times. I wonder if this is for the video or an actual training strategy? When we roll, especially with people around our skill level, everybody including me is going %100. Nobody wants to tap, nobody wants to be on the bottom, or swept etc... I even catch myself purposely strength blocking technical moves of my opponents, which would have got my arm, choked me or swept me. Now come to think of, except stamina, show of heart and toughness, I don't get much out of the %100 rolling sessions. Maybe if I did light rolling sessions where I let my training partner get these chokes and sweeps and he returned the favor I would learn more, and quicker...
    What do you guys think?

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    I love his rolling philosophy. I think the time spent in the hyper-aware state he's talking about is very valuable and is how I've had some of my most important epiphanies.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    gee's... i have always looked to find the right rolling partner who would be willing to roll at 50-60%... but everyone seems to think they are adcc while rolling at the gym. i personally agree that this in fact is a strategy... just imagine someone who pulls a guillatine in the first 60 seconds of everyone of their rolling sessions versus someone who has been in and applied 100's of positions and submissions..
    personally, i try to apply my startegy to get to the point where i know i have the submission, but release and flow into another attempted submission or allow my partner to do the same by allowing him to sweep.. this helps the both of us... allows us both to practice offense/defense and most importantly in my book... escapes.
    the only problem that i have found with this is that if i roll with the wrong person, it is very easy to get hurt or look like a total novice by some jerk going at 110% while i am simlply goig 50% and focusing on technique rather than strength or brute force...

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by DnnVasquezMaverick View Post
    gee's... i have always looked to find the right rolling partner who would be willing to roll at 50-60%... but everyone seems to think they are adcc while rolling at the gym. i personally agree that this in fact is a strategy... just imagine someone who pulls a guillatine in the first 60 seconds of everyone of their rolling sessions versus someone who has been in and applied 100's of positions and submissions..
    personally, i try to apply my startegy to get to the point where i know i have the submission, but release and flow into another attempted submission or allow my partner to do the same by allowing him to sweep.. this helps the both of us... allows us both to practice offense/defense and most importantly in my book... escapes.
    the only problem that i have found with this is that if i roll with the wrong person, it is very easy to get hurt or look like a total novice by some jerk going at 110% while i am simlply goig 50% and focusing on technique rather than strength or brute force...
    Well that is one of my problems too. I don't even care if I look like a noob, I don't give a rats ass what others think of me, I am there to learn and get better. But as far as safety, I kinda have to push as hard as they do since if I don't and end up relaxing, there is always a hurt rib, cranked neck or a popped elbow.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    well, maybe this is up to the discretion of the instructor...if the instructor on hand feels that this is a effective way of training he would definitely express that to his class and everyone would be on the same page. otherwise, you/we are a individual in the class that stands out as being one that wishes to " take it easy" during training... personally, i do care what others in class think about my training to a certain point. obviously i am there to achieve my personal goals but we have to remember we are a family and without training partners, there is no jiu jitsu....

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    This might be the wrong attitude, but if a guy is one of those 100% full boar always run your A game guys on me, that's the guy I usually destroy every time we roll just to beat it into his head that he's not going to win with that attitude. Plus they are usually the more predictable types because they've found 2 or 3 finishes that work for them and that's all they ever use.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    This might be the wrong attitude, but if a guy is one of those 100% full boar always run your A game guys on me, that's the guy I usually destroy every time we roll just to beat it into his head that he's not going to win with that attitude. Plus they are usually the more predictable types because they've found 2 or 3 finishes that work for them and that's all they ever use.
    I get a bit of perverse pleasure in just totally relaxing and playing super-tight defense against guys like that and just frustrating the piss out of them (it's even better if you can hold them in mount or side control). You can hear them breathing and grunting and growling while they're yanking, pulling, and squeezing for absolutely nothing with all their might. They're going like they've got 30 seconds left in their ADCC trial and they're down a point. After two rounds of that they're toast for the night while everybody else is still rolling chill and reppin' shit for the next 45 minutes.