Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    The MMA Clinic, Cork

Troubleshooting a position: The turtle/front headlock (from bottom)

Hi guys id like to pick your brains again. Ive found myself in a similare position a lot lately, It comes up for example when someone is just about to pass my guard with say a double under pass, i often roll my legs over my head and end up in a kind of turtle position (if that makes any sense).

When the guy is infront of me (sort of a front headlock postion i guess) usually what happens is they have an arm around my head/neck and maybe start looking for some kind of choke possibly a 10 finger or anaconda. This usually ties up my arms as im trying to defend my neck. I find it hard to improve my position especially if the guy is bigger. Sometimes if i feel a serious threat of a choke i can kinda pull half guard which works some of the time but id like to explore some transitions.

Does anyone else have trouble with this kind of position or have any ideas for ways to escape and improve position.

I know what you are talking about. Matt Hester taught me something he calls the Kelly series that i like to use form that position but i cant seem to find anything on google about it. Ill ask him this week and let you know what i find out.

Array

School
    The MMA Clinic, Cork
    Cool, Thanks for the reply.

YA maybe one of our wrestler guys on here can help us out before i talk to Matt...

waits patiently for a wrestler...

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    good question, I could use help in this also. I do like trying to snag the HG from there, that would be my preference. The wrestling sit out works well, until after I sit out. It is hard for me to keep the pressure on with the back of my neck/head. I look forward to replies......

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Keep grip fighting. Obviously youre in more of a disadvantage but if you can stop them from taking the steps to lock up the choke you can keep yourself safe until you can either pull guard, scramble or sit out. But if youre waiting till they get that hand on the bicep its pretty much too late
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    The MMA Clinic, Cork
    I guess ill drill the shit out of the sit out. I think that now i have identified the problem i will be able to deal with it better in the future.

Array

School
    10th pl.-Ronin
    What Brent said makes sense to me. I started struggling in that position a while ago, and decided to do something about it.

I hate that position, and I started watching clips on the turtle. What I figured out is that if I can stop him from connecting his hands, grip fighting like Brent says, then he cant lock up the control grip from top. I think of the ultimate control grip from there as a seatbelt grip, one arm in and head. If I can stop that by getting a hold of his hand before he can make his grip, then he has no control, and I can sit out, scoot to half, anything really as he's go no control! When you end up in that position, you know it's coming, so put your hands close to your chin, and try to intercept one of the hands. I find it very hard to sit out when he has a seatbelt grip. If both his hands are around my body It's easier, or if he is still struggling to connect his hands.

Array

School
    Piittman's BJJ
    I find myself in the same position, and I use a wrestling counter to the "cowcatcher". It is like a sitout like that was mentioned earlier but I was taught to twist back on to the arm so you end up on the side of the opponent, instead of the back, parrallel and facing the same direction with control of the arm you sat out to. As long as they do not connect the hands it works. If they try to step over as you sit out you can still sweep due to the control of the arm and they are moving toward you making the sweep easier.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    the sit out is money...if you are getting there from situations like the double unders pass, then you should be ready with the sit out as soon as you hit your knees. anytime you are turtled up and your opponent tries to fly over you should be pre-emptively sitting out. now thats if you decide to go the sit out route. i just drill it as a basic movement, and in wrestling class it saves my life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast