Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

been training gi for a month after 3 years no-gi and....

somebody please tell me how collar chokes, belt grabbing, wrapping my a gi over a persons neck for sweeps, pant leg grips, sleeve grips, etc.. is making my no-gi tighter. I especially love the "gi slows your game down so you can better understand the moves and motions" argument. so when things speed up, grips arnt their, and things are super slippery in no-gi i will have somehow learned subconsciously how to compensate through gi training.

Takes serious brainwashing and a cult like devotion to tradition to actually believe that IMO. but hey, till theirs an official 10thplanet in florida i guess ill just have to suck it up and let the bow and arrow chokes ride.

...just my rant after a month of hearing how gi is superior.

Dustin C.

Quote Originally Posted by snoogens44 View Post
    somebody please tell me how collar chokes, belt grabbing, wrapping my a gi over a persons neck for sweeps, pant leg grips, sleeve grips, etc.. is making my no-gi tighter. I especially love the "gi slows your game down so you can better understand the moves and motions" argument. so when things speed up, grips arnt their, and things are super slippery in no-gi i will have somehow learned subconsciously how to compensate through gi training.

Takes serious brainwashing and a cult like devotion to tradition to actually believe that IMO. but hey, till theirs an official 10thplanet in florida i guess ill just have to suck it up and let the bow and arrow chokes ride.

I know what you mean. I train in both. We have heard every argument of gi vs. no-gi what's better or worse. Do what you like to do, train how you like.
    Me personally, when I train in the gi I try to avoid gi techniques (but if it's there use it), go for double unders still, grab the wrist instead of the sleeve, grab the neck instead of the collar etc... Givin your circumstances make the best of it and just try to enjoy the sport, with or without the gi. but that just from my limited view point....

i hear you man. i try and do the same. ill love bjj anyways

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by snoogens44 View Post

I prefer no gi but theres something about those bow and arrow chokes. Its probably cause you get to look at them face to face while you choke them haha
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I prefer no gi but theres something about those bow and arrow chokes. Its probably cause you get to look at them face to face while you choke them haha
    I don't know what kind of bow and arrow chokes you're doing, but I don't look them in the face. Maybe the back/side of the head?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    The gi totally makes ur nogi tighter, just look at all the amazing guard work in the UFC, it's soooo tight :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    GBBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    The gi totally makes ur nogi tighter, just look at all the amazing guard work in the UFC, it's soooo tight :-)
    I want to learn it all. But this quote ^ is the reason Eddie Bravo is the man. Master of nogi and still no hate for the gi. Is it for him NO! but respects those who do..... Master Eddie Bravo your my hero!!!!

Array

School
    shadowhouse jj 10th planet ronin
    Dats da GI thats Jiu Jitsu!

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/New Orleans
    I know how you feel. I just started training the in the gi last week monday was my first time. It's nice were we are at though we train in the gi Monday Wednesday and Saturday. Tuesday is no-gi and sambo with Reilly Bodycomb and Thursday is just strait no-gi, with Friday is like a mma influenced no-gi class. I find this schedule weird but I guess the Head instructor let the students decided for another day of no gi or not, I'm not sure. I know how you feel though, when I'm in the gi I feel so lost and I'm getting tossed around likes its nothing, but when we go no-gi they lose their grips and I get to last longer rolling with me, pulling off a lot more sweeps as well.

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita, Eastlake CA
    They both have their place. Jiu Jitsu has several flavors (for lack of a better word)- Competition Jiu Jitsu, Combat (MMA) Jiu Jitsu, and "Chess"/Strategy Jiu JItsu- in these flavors, there are aspects to each game that one can only learn training with both gi and no gi. I personally try to train them equally. The single strongest benefit of Gi is that it will teach you to watch the dangerous positions that you accidentally get yourself into- in no gi, we can get out of a lot of situations because of the slippery nature of that style- in gi, if you make a mistake and your opponent locks you up in it, it is much harder to get out of. Therefore, you learn to pay close attention to the positions you get yourself into. This will benefit your no gi game a lot as you roll smaller, tighter and with less vulnerability. Just my perspective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast