Array

School
    GBBJJ

Been touring Schools

I have been looking in to schools to start my training in BJJ. So if anyone recalls my first post, " large and in charge" lol I'm overweight and had some trouble convincing myself to find a place to train JJ. I was just working on my striking in my basement on my heavy bag. To make a long story short I did the free trial that a lot of places have these days.

My biggest fear was people staring b/c of my size and no one wanting to roll, but the guys in the morning class were super cool. The first day was just basics , some side control drills, and today the school was more of a open mat. I was given the chance to roll with a blue belt so I hopped on it to tryout my skills (which is only hours on hours of video watching that you guys post and on Youtube) against a gentleman about my height 6'3 but he was only about .......... maybe 155lbs. He insured me my weight wasn't a problem. We rolled and I had a blast, so stoked. The only thing I'm upset about is that I waited so long in life to start training. Looking forward to the rest of my trial period and then becoming a permanent student. .......... Thanks for listing

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Congrats man!

Array

School
    Charles Gracie Reno
    I believe Lloyd Irvin's main school is in Maryland. Not sure if it's near where you are, but if it is I would definitely check it out. His competitors consistently bring home medals from major competitions. Although his promotional tactics can be a bit grating.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I love hearing stories like this. I share the same sentiment man. I regret not starting sooner. But it's great you finally started. And even better that you've found some good guys to train with.

Array

School
    GBBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSchwartz View Post
    I believe Lloyd Irvin's main school is in Maryland. Not sure if it's near where you are, but if it is I would definitely check it out. His competitors consistently bring home medals from major competitions. Although his promotional tactics can be a bit grating.
    Yeah. Very good from what I hear. He's closer to DC and that's about 45 -55 minutes away but.. Baltimore to DC traffic adds like an extra half hour lol

Array

School
    GBBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Ehrnreiter View Post
    Congrats man!
    thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I love hearing stories like this. I share the same sentiment man. I regret not starting sooner. But it's great you finally started. And even better that you've found some good guys to train with.
    It is, it really is. Now I just have to look in to if I should take recovery supplements and those things to improve my body b/c I'm crazy sore from rolling and focus mitt drills form striking. The whole left side of my torso hurts.

Once I get my basics down I can start workin in my RG for that 10 P

Thanks again guys