Array

School
    Steel City Martial Arts

Twister Side Control Question

I'm a novice in 10th planet so forgive me lol. I love passing from reverse half and I end up in the twister side position, so I've decided to try to add it into my game no-gi. After trying it in the afternoon class today which was no gi, I was wondering a few things about this position. Is it reactionary based? Like if they turn into you do you go for the grapevine and then roll and if they turtle away do you then go for the wrestler setup? I felt like I was trying to force the move and had 0 success. I was wondering about some setups you guys use to get to the grapevine from twister side, any help at all would be greatly appreciated lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I can't remember who it was that voiced it to me this way (though I believe it was Alder Hampel), but you should think of Twister Side Control as dynamic rather than static.

Don't focus on holding the position; focus on feeling the position.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Sorry i can't directly answer your question, but Don't forget the mount is pretty straight forward if nothing else. I usually try once or twice to push the knee down, then just take the mount. Eddie grabs the foot and pulls it accross, they never see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Don't focus on holding the position; focus on feeling the position.
    this.

denny is always talking about surfing the dude. using the hips and elbows as underhooks is big, using the underhook elbow on the lower part of their upper arm is big (more leverage).

personally i love hitting twister rolls if they turn into you, side crucifix/ truck if they turn away, and i have a deep hook arm bar i will try to set up if they just chill there. also mount. as a smaller guy i am constantly battling people straight arming me so my pressure with my hip and underhook elbow is always getting tested.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    dont force anything man...there are so many subs and set ups from there, just let it flow. the twister roll is tight but dont ignore the play that you have on their arms...subs and set ups on both sides. dont just try to stall there either. brandons comment is gold.

Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    dont force anything man...there are so many subs and set ups from there, just let it flow. the twister roll is tight but dont ignore the play that you have on their arms...subs and set ups on both sides. dont just try to stall there either. brandons comment is gold.
    well, maybe force is the wrong word. i just mean that i am taking action in the position relative to the other options being reactionary.

Array

School
    Steel City Martial Arts
    Thanks for the input guys. Im gonna try flowing with it more and see what opens up.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Hang out in there a bit and start understanding the dynamics. Rep the shit out of it and slick things start happening. Brandon's shit is on point for sure.