Array

School
    Grappling Team Pori

Dealing with a disappointing loss?

I am the one in the blue gi, my opponent is wearing black.

This was my match from the finals of the BJJ Finnish Open 2012, heavyweight division (+100,5kg). It's with gi's, but there are other gi guys here as well, so I thought to ask for help. My opponent won the absolute division as well, in the end. It was a three-man division, I got the free pass to the finals. So yeah, I got the silver, but I certainly didn't win it.

So, my question is this: did I do any mistakes? What should I work on? What went well? Something along those lines. (Mistakes aside from the obvious ones, like losing the mount and getting choked from the back.)

I would really like to know any possible issues, so I could address them in training. If I had gotten totally dominated from the start, this loss wouldn't mind me so much, but I had a significant point lead before I lost the position, and soon after, the match. I could have won. I don't really want to lose like this again. That's why I am asking you guys to help me analyze the match, and also because you have a wealth of information that could really help.

Thank you everyone, in advance.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    I'm not that experienced in Gi jj but my main training partner has a heavy base in wrestling if he ever takes my back first thing i look for is to clear my head on the other side of his makes its easier to roll them over. i frequently get to that spot and front roll almost immediately and try to catch half guard on the roll. now idk if that grasp on the collar prevents you from clearing the arm or not

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    at 2:29 hes high on your back with no hooks i would of tried to tripod up and shook him off at this point also

Array

School
    Grappling Team Pori
    The collar grip really gets in the way of escapes. The roll you described is good in no-gi and it works, but when I try that with the gi, I tend to get stopped mid-roll by the grips and the other guy then has side control on me.

The 2:29 point is good, at least in no-gi. I might have been able to throw him over like you said, but he had a good base in that position, it just might not look like it in the video.

Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

2 quick easy things that could've made a big difference. first, when he started escaping mount, you should've just turned into him but instead you stayed on your knees and took your time. you could've salvaged guard. second, he had a bad choke on you, instead of fighting his grip, you could've pushed his elbow up and popped your head out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona
    You seem to both be wearing some weird cloak. Like, a fabric costume. I suggest taking it off, so the grappling may commence. Yours is blue, and seems to be hindering you as he can just grab onto it.

Array

School
    Grappling Team Pori
    Justin, those are good points, thank you for the advice. I'll try them today at practice.

Nice one, Calan. Made me laugh.

Array

School
    GGBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Calan Ownhouse View Post
    You seem to both be wearing some weird cloak. Like, a fabric costume. I suggest taking it off, so the grappling may commence. Yours is blue, and seems to be hindering you as he can just grab onto it.
    2 funny! This cracked me up!