Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita

Is this guy legit, or a con artist?

So, a friend of mine took a few classes at a gym in San Jose, CA, and wanted my opinion on whether it was a good place to stay. I looked it up, and found a website, but there was no info on where the instructor learned. Then I went to yelp reviews, and became concerned when every review was either one star or five. They all either said "Tom is amazing, this is the best gym ever," or "I have never had a worse experience" (link to long, elaborate review below). So then I called him, and got a ... weird response. When I asked where he got his belt or who he trained with, he asked, "What kind of a question is that?" When I explained that how he teaches, his style of game, and what teams he has worked with are all different depending on where he learned, and that I meant no disrespect, he said, "People don't ask me questions like that. But I got my brown belt from the 'Gracies' (none named in particular)", and then mumbled some vague other names inaudibly, and then said he "moved to Pitbull" (presumably a black belt who promoted him to black).

Needless to say, there were some warning bells. Plus, this one yelp review made it sound EXTREMELY bad. But before I jump to conclusions, I wanted to see if anyone knows this guy. It's possible he just got a bad review, and is not good on the phone. I know that some traditional Brazilians can be tough to deal with at first, but it doesn't mean they are not legit. So, has anyone trained with him, seen his gym, heard of him, etc? Anyone from the San Jose area? The name is Tom Cissero, his website is http://cbjj.net/, and his yelp is http://www.yelp.com/biz/cissero-braz...jitsu-san-jose (see 1-star review).

Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Ive heard of Pitbull jj but it was also from someone that it was difficult to find a lineage. If I got those kinds of responses and they would be some major red flags and probably wouldn't go to the gym. If your lineage is solid you don't respond with a "what kind of question is that?".
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Evans View Post
    So, a friend of mine took a few classes at a gym in San Jose, CA, and wanted my opinion on whether it was a good place to stay. I looked it up, and found a website, but there was no info on where the instructor learned. Then I went to yelp reviews, and became concerned when every review was either one star or five. They all either said "Tom is amazing, this is the best gym ever," or "I have never had a worse experience" (link to long, elaborate review below). So then I called him, and got a ... weird response. When I asked where he got his belt or who he trained with, he asked, "What kind of a question is that?" When I explained that how he teaches, his style of game, and what teams he has worked with are all different depending on where he learned, and that I meant no disrespect, he said, "People don't ask me questions like that. But I got my brown belt from the 'Gracies' (none named in particular)", and then mumbled some vague other names inaudibly, and then said he "moved to Pitbull" (presumably a black belt who promoted him to black).

Needless to say, there were some warning bells. Plus, this one yelp review made it sound EXTREMELY bad. But before I jump to conclusions, I wanted to see if anyone knows this guy. It's possible he just got a bad review, and is not good on the phone. I know that some traditional Brazilians can be tough to deal with at first, but it doesn't mean they are not legit. So, has anyone trained with him, seen his gym, heard of him, etc? Anyone from the San Jose area? The name is Tom Cissero, his website is http://cbjj.net/, and his yelp is http://www.yelp.com/biz/cissero-braz...jitsu-san-jose (see 1-star review).

Thanks!
    Hey man I have friends that have trained with that tool bag, and he is basically overcharging for some purple belt level Jiu Jitsu, tell your buddy if he's in that area just go to AKA or Ralph Gracie's in Mountain View. Or if he's more in our neck of the woods, Rocha BJJ on Grand Ave in Oakland. Or he willing to make a commute hit up Denny's place in San Francisco. Pitbull Jiu Jitsu is crap.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Spalla View Post
    Hey man I have friends that have trained with that tool bag, and he is basically overcharging for some purple belt level Jiu Jitsu, tell your buddy if he's in that area just go to AKA or Ralph Gracie's in Mountain View. Or if he's more in our neck of the woods, Rocha BJJ on Grand Ave in Oakland. Or he willing to make a commute hit up Denny's place in San Francisco. Pitbull Jiu Jitsu is crap.
    Hey Kyle, great advice! I am a blue belt under Eduardo (Rocha JJ), and I train there almost every day. It's the best training I have ever found. As a matter of fact, if you are the Kyle I think you are, then we know each other pretty well, lol. I'm the lanky white boy who actually plays rubber guard in a gi.

I watched some youtube videos of those guys training, and it looked like a complete joke. So did that guy's technique videos. Seriously hilarious. I just wanted to make sure, before I spoke poorly of the guy, so thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    Yeah I have been through Eduardo's a few times, dude is intense, and I like how he incorporates the Grey Belt into his ranking systems, which I hear a lot of schools are doing now. I have a buddy named Nathan Brown that trains there or at least he did. I thought about going back there and officially signing up but not sure since he is a Royler black belt if he wants anything to do with 10pjj guys. He and looks like the fiercely loyal type and so does Xande, and I wouldn't fuck with either lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hollywood
    Gym looks nice, but if he gives you douchebag respones and doesn't answer your question, then FUCK HIM!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    The simple fact he said his instructor lineage was "one of the Gracie's" and he not only can't tell you which one but the fact that he isn't an affiliate of that Gracie just screams bullshit.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    All legit black belts are proud of their lineage and are just waiting to talk about it with anybody who gives a damn to ask. Anybody who skirts around the issue of their lineage is a fraud.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    When I asked where he got his belt or who he trained with, he asked, "What kind of a question is that?" When I explained that how he teaches, his style of game, and what teams he has worked with are all different depending on where he learned, and that I meant no disrespect, he said, "People don't ask me questions like that.
    Arn't most people exciting and happy to talk about their lineage? I can't wait to tell people I train under a student of master eddies and my lineage goes through Josh passini, to eddie, and in origins to jean jaques, I can hardly hold that in let alone take offense to someone asking me it...

The ONLY reason someone is going take offense is:
    A- Their credentials are fake, inflated, or given to them by someone's who were, or is just not legit, or a known mcdojo teacher.
    B- They have had a falling out with their origins, so that makes it sensitive to discuss.
    C- They think the person asking has motivations that are negative; eg he thinks people have a negative opinion of where he trained and thinks they are setting up the question to go further into that, something i've experienced with people asking me about 10th planet before.

Array

School
    BJJ Akademie Berlin
    I looked on the site out of curiosity and it says that he go his knowledge of JJ from Pitbull JJ founder Adilson “Bitta” Lima who is a 6th degree BB. It doesn't say that he got a BB from him it only says Lima passed on his knowledge to him. This could mean anything. It is pretty carefully worded. I also looked up this Lima character and it says he is affiliated with Renzo.

http://cbjj.net/training/brazilian-jiu-jitsu/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast