Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    North Queensland Fight Academy - Australia

Do's and Don't when wrestling up a few too many weight classes

After reading an earlier post on here and thinking of a roll I had the other night where one of my students had a little over 60kg on me (sorry I'm Australian about 130lbs).

I found my Butterfly was pretty easily crushed by a guy this size, and on the bottom was not real fun at all.

Big guys do tend to leave bigger holes though so transitions to the back were on, and once in top position I could move rather freely.

Isolation of arms for a finish was difficult but gogo's were on.

It's got me asking the question what are every-ones go to moves when there is huge weight difference, and what do you avoid like the plague?

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Triangles for bigger guys and if the positioning is right heel hooks, ankle locks I stay away from arms of larger guys since I tend to get overpowered. I tend to catch them more than attack though. That's just me.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Maintain mount to tire and then arm triangle.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    Well I'm the same weight as you and just in general I try to stay away from rolling with people 200 lbs plus but if I have too I've found arm drag to the back works wonders because no matter how big the choke is always stronger. Now If I do get stuck in gaurd I like to go for arm bars even though stregth isn't on my side. I find the flower sweep to be quite effective when they defend.. I'm so small and there so concered with there arm that they never see it comin. And if they do I just work the arm in hopes of a scramble to regain a more dominant position.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    As a bigger guy, I know that when I roll with smaller guys I have to be aware of getting my back taken, swim-moved, or anything else that could result in an armbar. More recently our guys have been working De la Riva and Spiral guard to X- guard so I have to watch out for that, And I've been caught in some deep half as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I try not to get stuck underneath super big guys. As stated above Sucker drags to the back are key. I play top game with big dudes as much as possible cause I don't want to carry their weight.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    As a bigger guy, I know that when I roll with smaller guys I have to be aware of getting my back taken, swim-moved, or anything else that could result in an armbar. More recently our guys have been working De la Riva and Spiral guard to X- guard so I have to watch out for that, And I've been caught in some deep half as well.
    It's scary when big dudes like Juan Carlos start playing with the De la Heeeeev. Something about a 6'3" 230 lbs animal starts spinning around underneath you like a featherweight, it's awesome.

Sam Sales

Great topic, i got fucking minced today by some gigantic fucking rugby player (cool guy though) that outweighed me by 70lbs LOL :-)

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    I'm 5'11 and about 270 things i have to watch for deff getting my back taken and darces.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona
    Man this is like every day for me at the gym. I got 3 plans... Plan A) Roll light, and don't worry too much about fighting positions, letting them get tired as hell. Then it's easier to work subs or position. Plan B) Bait the stack, using hubber guard or faking armbars then move for a quick sweep. I find the extra weight lets my sweeps feel more powerful. Plan C) Get my ass smashed
    Important part to remember is just to ask them, after rolling with a big guy, ask him why your sweep didnt work or how he muscled out of your sub. I guarantee roll with guys 40+ pounds more than you and your own weight division feels easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast