Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals

Is Jiu Jitsu For Everyone?

Obviously, anyone can be a practitioner and use jiu jitsu as a means to improve their life or get in shape, etc...

But do you think that everyone is capable of achieving the advanced ranks (Brown and Black)?

Is a Black Belt only for assassins or could a black belt be based on other attributes as well (such as knowledge, teaching ability, etc)?

I'd be interested to hear everyone's perspective.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I think it is important that the elite belts are bad motherfuckers and no they are not for everyone. It is as much a physical as a mental art. You have to be able to demonstrate your knowledge on other well trained fully resisting opponents. Most people who are knowledgable already give a credible bjj purple way more weight than traditional blacks. I hope it stays as such.

Array

School
    Striker Fight Center
    At the local Alliance school, Jacare has awarded a black belt to a buddy of mine primarily based on his success in competition. He is also a good teacher, but he shines at winning competitions. There is another guy who is a black belt under Jacare but he rarely competes. He does well rolling in class whether it's with students or his peers, but he clearly shines at teaching and is an excellent instructor who is extremely knowledgeable. I don't train there, but both of these guys are close friends of mine.

That being said, I believe one should be capable of being an "assassin" (not my favorite choice of words) as well as being knowledgeable and capable of teaching. I believe being knowledgeable is a requirement in order to be a good teacher and to be an "assassin" on the mats. Once you have the knowledge, to be an assassin is just a matter of repetition. As someone else put it, repetition is the mother of all skill. As a black belt you may not be obligated to teach, but I think once you are a black belt part of your duty should include being a role model for lower ranks and with that comes the ability to teach when necessary. IE. a lower ranked student approaches you for advice or clarification on something, you should be able to clearly demonstrate to them what it is they are seeking to learn better.

My .02 cents!

Array

School
    ^ but you agree, that other dude is a straight badass physically? Is there any way to do the amount of reps it takes to become a bb and not have it completely reform your body? I think the two will go hand in hand pretty much everytime.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Can someone who begins jiu jitsu at age 40 for the purpose of getting in shape ever hope to reach Black Belt? Even if the guy is a genius in theory and philosophy and is the best teacher of all time, after 10 years passes this dude is gonna be 50 years old. It's unrealistic to think that he'll be tapping out 21 year old Black and Brown Belts (and even Purple Belts in some cases) that train for competition every time he graces the mats.

Can this guy ever be a Black Belt? I'm ok with either answer; I feel like I understand both perspectives. Just curious as to everyone's thoughts.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Personally I feel that not everyone can make it to the higher ranks. That being said, I do believe that you can be awarded a bb and not compete. Some can't compete due to physical permanent injuries but in that case you must be a technical wizard with outstanding teaching abilities.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Can someone who begins jiu jitsu at age 40 for the purpose of getting in shape ever hope to reach Black Belt? Even if the guy is a genius in theory and philosophy and is the best teacher of all time, after 10 years passes this dude is gonna be 50 years old. It's unrealistic to think that he'll be tapping out 21 year old Black and Brown Belts (and even Purple Belts in some cases) that train for competition every time he graces the mats.

Can this guy ever be a Black Belt? I'm ok with either answer; I feel like I understand both perspectives. Just curious as to everyone's thoughts.
    I totally think he could be a black belt.

Array

School
    Just to clarify, I never said to be able to tap or compete with, just demonstrate.

And part of being an elite belt is working with and around your limitations and injuries to the point that all lower belts wont even be able to tell on account of they're bein smashed. And other higher belts will recognize his demeanor, timing, pressure, technique, etc.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I feel that if this person has the will and desired to get there Black they will. It may take them a really long time but definitely possible. I feel your jiu jitsu changes and becomes these athletic and more cognitive. There is a video floating around with a 65-70year old high level black still hold there own with a mid 20's black belt. Although low percentage still viable. There is a dude that won the expert division in Chicago that was almost 70 and his shit was on point. I think it is totally possible with a lot of hard work and dedication.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Woolsey View Post
    I totally think he could be a black belt.
    Totally agree he can absolutely be a Black Belt. I dont remember them ever taking away Helio's after he got old. lol

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast