Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Obviously this is my opinion. I feel everyone has the potential to achieve a black belt, and each individual will have their own battles to conquer to obtain it. However it’s whether or not they can tune in to the proper frequency that will allow them to tap into that potential. So many factors come into play: training consistency, age, injuries, recovery, the right partners and more importantly the right guidance. There’s an invisible frequency, sensitivity, awareness, the force call it what you want to Jiu Jitsu, If you're tuned in age, physical limitations, etc. are just obstacle that can be overcome. Remember Black Belt isnt a destination its a way point on an on going journey, and for many is just the start.
    So wise..like a miniature Buddha covered in hair...
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Physical Limitations: JJ Machado

*drops mic*

PEACE BITCHES

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    When I first asked my instructor about training, he discouraged me and asked me if I was sure I wanted to do it. I was 114 pounds at that time and extremely frail. I broke my humorous bone one month into training. But I’m still here, and I train more than almost everyone in the area. So we will see how it goes.

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    I think that something we don't see in the US that is in Brazil, is the casual black belt. The guy who has trained once a week for 10 or even 20 years. There are plently of guys who fall in the category in Brazil from what I have been told by people who have trained there. It simply hasn't been around quite long enough and not quite as popular as long in the US for us to experinece it.

I personally think yes, they do deserve a black belt. They just of course won't be held in the same esteem as a competition black. Just my opinion. I think in the next 10 years or so we'll start seeing this happen in the states.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    i think most people can get there. not everyone is in the health that jiu jitsu requires. i think that if you are in good enough health to roll 100% then its just up to how much you want it.

Array

School
    RMNU
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Helton View Post
    I think that something we don't see in the US that is in Brazil, is the casual black belt. The guy who has trained once a week for 10 or even 20 years. There are plently of guys who fall in the category in Brazil from what I have been told by people who have trained there. It simply hasn't been around quite long enough and not quite as popular as long in the US for us to experinece it.

I personally think yes, they do deserve a black belt. They just of course won't be held in the same esteem as a competition black. Just my opinion. I think in the next 10 years or so we'll start seeing this happen in the states.
    I was wondering this. If you get your black at 30 then get married, kids, house and you don't train like you used to are you any less a black belt?

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Bangor Maine
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Thaxton View Post
    I was wondering this. If you get your black at 30 then get married, kids, house and you don't train like you used to are you any less a black belt?
    In my opinion, they are no less of a black belt. They still put the time and dedication in and still possess all the knowledge and mantal toughness you get on the path to that great achievement. Just because they are in a part of their life that has more responsibility and stuff goin on, which doesnt allow them to train as often as they might like, it doesnt take away from what they have done. That being said. . . . . . I do believe there is a difference between them and black belts who train and compete on a regular basis. Not that competition black belts neccesarily are more knowledgeable or have a bigger skill set. But competion and constant grappling keeps the muscle memory alittle sharper and keeps you aliitle more on point in my opinion.

Array

School
    Kakuto University & Traveling 10 Ring Circus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    ^ but you agree, that other dude is a straight badass physically? Is there any way to do the amount of reps it takes to become a bb and not have it completely reform your body? I think the two will go hand in hand pretty much everytime.
    Ask Ed O'Neill--getting his gjj bb didn't seem to do much for him--no offense.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    10,000 hours. You put in that much time, no matter how old you are, you will be a master. At least, that's what Malcolm Gladwell says.

Obviously, not everyone wants to put that kind of energy into jiu-jitsu, and that's okay. Not everyone needs to want to be a black belt someday to benefit or enjoy the game. But for those who do, it's only a matter of time.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    When jj is the most martial, it is also the most artistic. Efficiency of movement is always artistic imo, no matter the skill.

The black belt and fact that it is a martial art always raises so many questions, since it also clearly a sport. In a sport the goal is to get good and to win. Pretty cut and dry. In a martial art there are so many other factors such as rank, lifestyle, philosophy, and other self imposed virtues placed within martial arts. In wrestling or boxing are all these things not being attained as well, in one form or another? The best in those will also have the most reps and quality training along with extremely dedicated mindset as well. I think the packaging of a sport in the form of an art helps get it to all ages, genders, and demographics. It is a very effective medium.

Our way is already set and it is our passion so we can be biased. But anyone who dedicates themselves passionately to any skill will eventually create art through movement imo. And there is usually a strong subculture around the skill where some form of ranking or belt system could be created. Musicians, welders, fishermen, hacky-sackers, wrestlers, skeet shooters, dancers, pole vaulters, woodworkers, painters, you get the point.

Another comparison between the two kinds of black belt. Manny Pacquiao- clearly a blackbelt, Freddy Roach- also clearly a black belt imo. Micheal Jordan- cleary black belt, Phil Jackson- also clear. Black belt.

I agree with the statement of 'if the intructor says so, then it is so'. Its completely subjective anyway.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast