Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Kakuto University & Traveling 10 Ring Circus

IBJJF Rule Changes & Alternatives

So, I've heard a number of people talk about the changes that are coming from the IBJJF and others. I actually visited a school recently where I was told asked not to use any ankle/leg locks on anyone at all; straight, twisting, etc. The BB instructor explained that he's not teaching those techniques because they are about to be banned. This is mind-blowing because this school is co-owned by this instructor and a ufc fighter.

Of course, Master Eddie Bravo has brought out the CJJ competition. BTW, I'm really interested to see that grow. Anyway, I think these rule changes suck in competition and I think that it's just remiss to not teach them on the mats. Amazing. Anyway, I'm looking to start a grappling competition circuit in the southeastern US which is not so restrictive. There are a number of changes that I'd like to make to the structure of the tournament that I think would make them more favorable than the others. One is to put the kids first, THEN the black belts (so that they don't have to coach all day and then compete tired), then blue through brown. In fact, I'm really interested the possibility of incorporating some ISJJ rules.

Any suggestions for this project? What sort of things would make you want to compete or attend a particular event more than another? Also, how frequently would you be willing to compete in these?

I hope y'all will weigh in with some input on this.

Thanks!

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Wow, so instead of advancing the sport, they're hindering it? This makes no sense. Instead of having a complete game, they have a 50% game? How can anyone who loves BJJ think this is a good idea?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Why do you want to learn a watered down version of Jiu Jitsu? Go to Gracie Nationals & Gracie Worlds. Local Submission only tournaments, etc..

You want change...Stop going to these joke tournaments. A lot of the top Black Belts complain about these tournaments, but until they stop going they will never change.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    IBJJF feels like they have the monopoly on prestige. But the consumers/customers drive the market. If we boycott them, little by little, they'll have to listen to the customer. I just hope people care more about BJJ than medals. These days, I'm not so sure.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Wow to be honest if they get rid of leg locks 1) Toquinho will cry and 2) It'll just be Judo ground fighting rules with longer time limits doesn't really set it apart and completely cuts the arts effectiveness in half in my opinion.

Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ
    Been happening to judo for years, as a counter freestyle judo was introduced. Just goes to show that the true power of a sport/art lies with the players as long as they realize and exercise that power when called upon. I know Loyld Irvin and a couple other bigwigs are already setting up their own competitions to continue true bjj. Power to the people.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    IBJJF feels like they have the monopoly on prestige. But the consumers/customers drive the market. If we boycott them, little by little, they'll have to listen to the customer. I just hope people care more about BJJ than medals. These days, I'm not so sure.
    All the complaining, but the numbers still climb. Its a Brazilian problem. Drink the Brazilian kool aid!

There's been some chatter about a professional BJJ league. That would really change things. But that would take some serious BALLS by some top guys to pull that off.

Since, you don't have to learn as much in a ibjjf school. Should you be able to get a Black Belt in 5 or 6 years, 7 max.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Lloyd Irvin posted this on his facebook page. For a tournament he's having

$10,000 1st $5k 2nd-(Black Belt Only,No Time Limit,Submission Only) Tournament Coming Soon! Refs Will Have Nothing To Do With The Result. Spread The Word, what rules would u guys like to see?

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    Lloyd Irvin posted this on his facebook page. For a tournament he's having

$10,000 1st $5k 2nd-(Black Belt Only,No Time Limit,Submission Only) Tournament Coming Soon! Refs Will Have Nothing To Do With The Result. Spread The Word, what rules would u guys like to see?
    Gonna be a lot of broken ankles/knees and legs at that tournament I bet. Shit for 10k I'd break my brothers arm...What? It heals!

Array

School
    Kakuto University & Traveling 10 Ring Circus
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Wow, so instead of advancing the sport, they're hindering it? This makes no sense. Instead of having a complete game, they have a 50% game? How can anyone who loves BJJ think this is a good idea?
    They should change it the International SPORT Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast