Array

School
    10th planet Melbourne/ GVJJ

Rickson Gracie "Only 30% of Jiu Jitsu is used in MMA"

Rickson Gracie recently said that only 30% of Jiu jitsu is used in today's MMA, and essentially that Royce would not be able to win in today's UFC.
    Thoughts?
    Read the article here:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...paradigm-shift

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Repost buddy

Array

School
    Senshdokan
    I think BJJ has evolved so much since UFC 1 in 1993 it's really hybrid MMA. Back then outside of Brazil the USA was one of the worst countries in Judo but world class in Folkstyle/ Freestyle wrestling, and Taekwondo schools or boxing clubs were everywhere. Fights in school yards and bar parking lots have guys with no BJJ training grappling now because I've seen it myself. (Pretty bad fights.) The de la riva hook, x-guard, upside-down spider guard, and grip fighting have no relevance in MMA anyway and the new generation of athletes like Rory Macdonald have never competed in Jiu-jitsu in their life. Even a blackbelt in BJJ that's 55 years old and 155 pounds will lose to a wrestler who's 205 pounds with a good understanding of the art.

All these made up ass percentages drive me crazy. In all areas of life.

I agree about Royce and modern MMA. MMA is its own thing now. I like a lot of what Rickson said there.

Array

School
    God dammit Kyle

Cheers Bro, I miss a lot of stuff sleeping while you dudes are chatting away, with the time zone differences.
    Ha Ha

But yeah I tend to agree with Ricksons opinions and being Rickson it brings a lot of weight to that opinion.
    I'm far more interested in how this relates to 10th Planet/ Rubber Guard that works in MMA (Sots V Pelligrino, etc) and the percentage differences between the system and tradish BJJ in MMA.
    We all know 10th Planet is designed for MMA but with Rogers statements about how much Jits he loses in MMA and now Rickson I saw this as really relevant to that arguement.

Thanks for posting on this accidental re-post guys.
    Thanks guys.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    essentially that Royce would not be able to win in today's UFC.
    If it was Royce in his prime using just his jitsui (and limited striking to setup the clinch/takedown) then it's prob a coinflip that he beats everyone these days (Overeem would prob guillotine him or knee/elbow him out, GSP would find a way to jab him like he did with Shields, and SOnnen would def ground and pound him). That being said thank God for 10th Planet.

Array

School
    fight sport miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason 'J-Faz' Farren View Post
    Rickson Gracie recently said that only 30% of Jiu jitsu is used in today's MMA, and essentially that Royce would not be able to win in today's UFC.
    Thoughts?
    Read the article here:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...paradigm-shift
    Id say, in Rikson fasion, he is right on the money with what hes saying.

when you figure that a lot of techniques wont be used or are nullified because of almost everyone knowing it that limits a lot of the jiu jitsu one can use. Just like boxing, jiu jitsu is one aspect of fighting. As for royce. he wouldnt be able to win if you plucked him out of the first UFC and dropped him into the next one thats coming up. however if he had his whole life to train as a mixed martial artist then who knows what would happen. But royce as he was wouldnt win a UFC belt in todays age.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    All these made up ass percentages drive me crazy. In all areas of life.

I agree about Royce and modern MMA. MMA is its own thing now. I like a lot of what Rickson said there.
    %31 of this board agrees with you, %18.4 percent is indifferent, %84 did not read your post.

I know it does not add up the %100, thats the point.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Also the point of that article is not the %30 jiujitsu thing. That is one little thing he said but they made it the Header.
    HE is talking about how MMA is an athlete's game and jiujitsu is something else, but people who don't read the article come to their own conclusion which is Rickson admitted that jiujitsu sucks for mma.

Array

School
    Don't think anyone said jiu-jitsu sucks for mma.