Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont

Should heavyweights train kickboxing the same as the rest of us?

I’m not a striking coach or a heavyweight, so I didn’t feel I had the knowledge to speak on this matter. A heavyweight MMA fighter who has been training his ground game with us said he doesn’t feel like he can kickbox realistically. He feels that if he throws a cross, knee, elbow or back-leg round kick in training, even against another heavyweight and sparring with big gloves that is would “end the training day”.

He says if he pulls the cross, he’s “doing it wrong” and it would be better for him not to do it at all… So no live training at all, basically? My thoughts were he could do it right and take enough off of it to keep everyone safe, but what do I know about being a heavyweight kick boxer? How should he train?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Im not a heavyweight either but that doesnt make sense to me. Has he had experience in the past of hurting training partners that has led to this theory?
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Im not a heavyweight either but that doesnt make sense to me. Has he had experience in the past of hurting training partners that has led to this theory?
    No, not that I know of. He’s knocked a guy out quick in competition before. He’s been mainly hitting the mitts for his striking now, don’t know what to say… Maybe there is a magical detail or something for him?… But yeah, not making sense to me either, I thought I’d ask though.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    All the top Heavyweight boxers and Elite K1 (kickboxers) all train live. Maybe he doesn't like to get hit.
    Last edited by Jack LaBarge; 06-14-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Yes, and he's full of shit, he needs to spar live like everyone else. If you don't spar you don't get better period. Timing, distance and, proper head movement ,etc. all need to be mastered while sparring. Its no different than rolling is to Jiu Jitsu, diffrent components, but all for the same reasons. Theres several types of sparring as well body work , lite sparring, hard sparring, etc. All have their merrits. But being a "fighter" and not sparring, is plain stupid.
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 06-14-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Mike Tyson can live spar, but old Billy Bob down at the local gym is too dangerous to mix it up? Mmmkay.

Edit:

That's the sort of dude that tells everyone his hands are registered as a lethal weapon.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    I've seen loads of guys here in Thailand look phenomenal on the mitts and bag, but look like shit when they spar and hardly ever do it. The game is totally different when someone is throwing punches and kicks back at you.

Also Saenchai the greatest Muay Thai fighter alive right now says the best way to get technically good is slow sparring (timing) everyday.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    He probably worries about it being unrealistic if he doesnt like to be hit and cant avoid being hit without throwing full power to scare people out of engaging with him. Sounds like an excuse to avoid something or maybe he doesnt really know the importance of all the different types of sparring. Has he fought before. If he has then he must have a 100% knockout percentage cuz hes so powerful and dangerous

Array

School
    Ronin
    Im a heavyweight (6"2, and about 280 pounds) and i have never had a problem sparring hard with anyone, im sure all padded up with 16 or 18oz gloves on he wont be really hurting people, unless he only spars with lighter weights !

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Sounds like he hasn't figured out how to control his power or he is afraid that he doesn't have control of his power. Like Herzog said it is very important to spar cause your timing etc wont be there without it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast