Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    be meaner next time man. I got fucked once now i just hold the position, you there is a pain before breaking on armlocks, I just keep em in the pain zone.

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    That's the most active and interested referee i've ever seen in any competition, ever
    surely his wise call is what counts? -__-

Array

School
    SIMS / 10th Planet Omaha
    Same thing has happened to my team mates enough times that I don't let go of my submissions till the ref stops me. Some guys just don't tap in competition.

Array

School
    10th Planet Oakland
    Chris I love devils advocate, and liked reading your response because now that Ive had a day to chill out and look at it again I can def see what your saying and I think I did let go to fast. He tapped and I love this sport and prefer not to hurt anyone so I tend to let go. I think the fact that earlier I had a different guy in a toe hold who didn't tap and his ankle popped and crackled made me want to let go sooner with this guy because I felt bad about the previous guys ankle.
    I had my 10p hoodie on in between matches etc and after my previous wins I usually throw up the 10 making it clear that I was 10p guy. Also I did this tournament last time and was decked out in purple 10p gear (the day I remembered to do laundry lol). It could be all in my head but at the end of the day I was just really pissed off because I KNOW the guy tapped. I believe in fighting with honor and when I tap I tap and will admit to it.

Lesson I learned from this..........Next time Palhares that shit

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    To play devil's advocate the ref was at the same angle as the camera, and from that perspective you can not see the tap. I'm not saying he didn't tap, just that it wasn't visable. Whoever was coaching you did an excellent job trying to keep you focused. I'm not sure where the 10th Planet bias comes in, I don't see any 10th Planet gear or anything that stands out and screams 10th Planet on the video.

There are haters out there for sure. However, its the competitors job to go out there and beat his opponent, and the ref.
    It's easiest to cry "haters" when we make mistakes, lets not fall into the habit of having ready made excuses, it makes loosing too comfortable. Instead ingore the haters and go out and complete the task at hand, its the easiest way to shut them up.
    https://www.facebook.com/michael.hillebrand.77

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Just to be clear, I believe he tapped

Theres a thin line that a competitor plays on between "being kind & trusting and being a hard ass competitor set on winning". Where do you draw the line? You want to trust that if someone quick taps and that they will be honest and admit the tap. Or do you hold that shit until the ref steps in and make sure you won? Its a personal question that you should have answered before stepping on the competion mat, so you don't hesitiate when the time comes. I'd also suggest having a "special cirumstance" rule, in case you change your mind in mid match. Answering those "what if" scenarios before hand makes those split second decisions alot easier. I support either mind set in my competitors as long as they are thought out and prepared for potential consequences for either.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Zombie BJJ - RMNU
    This is not the same scenario, but relates. I recently was using a choke pass that I learned
    from Bruno Bastos in competition. I never expect the opponent to tap from that pass, but even
    Bruno informed me that they would sometimes tap during the pass. As I was passing, I needed
    to re-adjust my grip for more leverage. Soon after the re-adjustment, the guy tapped. I let
    the choke go and got up. The ref was slightly confused, and asked what had happened, and I told
    him he tapped. The other guy laid on the ground, must have nearly been out, cause he laid for
    a few seconds on his back, so the ref saw that he was done, and gave me the win, which I did win.
    After going back and watching the video, the guy tapped before I ever re-adjusted my grip, but I didn't
    see or feel it and the ref didn't see it either. He must have gotten some air when I fixed my grip,
    because he quickly hides his tap and tries to fight it again...then soon tapped again.

Point being, he took the opportunity to continue the fight after his first tap, because he realized
    the ref didn't see it. If he wasn't about to go out, he may have taken that same opportunity the second
    time around, but luckily for me, he stayed down. I saw the second tap, but the ref didn't. Had he not
    stayed down, I think I would have been in the same situation you were in. I didn't feel like he was trying
    to play dirty when I saw the video, but I think his instinct and desire to win kicked in and he kept fighting.

It's easy for me to say this when they gave me the win, but it just goes to show the mindset people
    have in competition, and the mindset you have when you've got pride and emotion involved in a fight.
    I have had my arm cranked really fucking hard...as I'm sure everyone here has had. When I tap, it's
    because I want the other guy to let that shit go, and I like to think that I would be completely honest
    about it, so I hope my opponent will do the same...but it seems that isn't always the case, and competition
    brings out the best and worst in some people.

Since then, I have taken to what Zog said...making my mind up about how I'm going to go about
    my business before I get into those situations.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    As a guy who's never competed, I'm learning a lot from this thread, so the lesson learned and shared is not in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Just to be clear, I believe he tapped

Theres a thin line that a competitor plays on between "being kind & trusting and being a hard ass competitor set on winning". Where do you draw the line? You want to trust that if someone quick taps and that they will be honest and admit the tap. Or do you hold that shit until the ref steps in and make sure you won? Its a personal question that you should have answered before stepping on the competion mat, so you don't hesitiate when the time comes. I'd also suggest having a "special cirumstance" rule, in case you change your mind in mid match. Answering those "what if" scenarios before hand makes those split second decisions alot easier. I support either mind set in my competitors as long as they are thought out and prepared for potential consequences for either.
    Great post.

The conclusion that I'm coming to is: if the guy taps, don't immediately let go until the ref jumps in. Hold onto it and don't crank. Wait until the ref splits you or at least get verbal confirmation from your opponent so the ref sees before you let go all the way. If not, crank that shit.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nunja View Post
    Chris I love devils advocate, and liked reading your response because now that Ive had a day to chill out and look at it again I can def see what your saying and I think I did let go to fast. He tapped and I love this sport and prefer not to hurt anyone so I tend to let go. I think the fact that earlier I had a different guy in a toe hold who didn't tap and his ankle popped and crackled made me want to let go sooner with this guy because I felt bad about the previous guys ankle.
    I had my 10p hoodie on in between matches etc and after my previous wins I usually throw up the 10 making it clear that I was 10p guy. Also I did this tournament last time and was decked out in purple 10p gear (the day I remembered to do laundry lol). It could be all in my head but at the end of the day I was just really pissed off because I KNOW the guy tapped. I believe in fighting with honor and when I tap I tap and will admit to it.

Lesson I learned from this..........Next time Palhares that shit
    Paul Harris that shit

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    That's super-shitty, Mike Nunja. The worst part is that the douche you were fighting wasn't honest enough to tell the ref you made him tap.

Array

School
    10th Planet Pasadena
    It was pretty obvious by the way your opponent threw his hands up that he admitted defeat. The ref should've noticed that. It sucks cause now a nice guy, who competed with compassion for his fellow JJ players, is going to have to crank the shit out of everything and not let go until the ref prys him off. It's hard to be the better man, and when people lie they leave you no choice but to suspend civility and get savage on their ass.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast