Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita

I Finally Tried NoGi This Weekend - And Won Advanced!

I went to the BJJ by the Bay tournament this weekend in CA. It was fun, and I met a 10th Planet student or two there. As always, 10thP guys are always friendly and nice. I entered Men's Adult Blue Belt in the Gi, 154 lbs. They combined Intermediate and Advanced Nogi, so even though I only ever did nogi once (as a starting white belt), I entered advanced (149 lbs).

I won 2/3 gi fights by quick sub, losing in the semis against an 18 year old kid I know. He was up on pts, and I could have won, but his knee loudly blew out, and the only way to score in the last minute would have been to smash hard through his busted knee in 50-50 to try to pass and take the back. Small tourney, ad he's a good kid - no point crippling him, so I just eased off and let him have it. I beat the gold medal winner in my first nogi match, so I think I would have won this too otherwise.

Then I did advanced nogi. Had a war with the previous gold winner, but I won a ref decision by clearly being the attacker the whole match. I should have gotten like 3 advantages and 2 sweep points anyway. Then I easily walked through the other matches, taking the back within a minute each time. I guess I can handle advanced nogi - who knew?

So one bronze, one gold. There is no doubt that the 10thP techniques I have studied helped me win, both in actual techniques, and general understanding of nogi. I really can't wait to find time to visit Denny's place, as well as HQ when I can. I think I'm going to start doing more nogi tournaments. Anyone know of some coming up in norcal?

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Good job. What belt are you in 10thP? What belt are you in Gracie?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Congrats brotha!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Good job killer.

Array

School
    I do not own a 10th Planet belt. I have been studying your techniques (and not just RG and lockdown!) since before I formally started training in BJJ, and they are a big part of my game. I have TONS of respect for Eddie, as well as all of you guys, and not only for the brilliant technique, but also the selfless, open-minded attitude. But I prefer to earn a belt in person, so I will wait until I can afford the time/costs to train with Denny before I try to get a belt. I am a blue belt in traditional Gracie BJJ under Eduardo Rocha, a 4th degree BB under Royler, which always makes it hilarious when I am throwing up RG in front of him.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Cool. High five.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Philips View Post
    Word. Any videos?
    I'm waiting on some. Nobody came specifically to film this one, but some of my opponents had people filming, and said they would send the footage over. Hopefully more to come!

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Evans View Post
    I'm waiting on some. Nobody came specifically to film this one, but some of my opponents had people filming, and said they would send the footage over. Hopefully more to come!
    I feel one day I will be looking across the mat and staring at Harry Evans, and he will not show me mercy. The Jiu Jitsu community is just too small and I was strongly thinking of competing in that tournament in that weight class lol.

Array

School
    Striker Fight Center
    Congrats Harry! I bet it feels great to have an outcome better than what you were expecting before the tournament started.