Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hollywood

I need help with some techniques

Today i rolled with a newcomer. He was way bigger than me and i got him in the rubber guard. He broke out of it with pure strength and we scrambled and got into a weird position that kinda looks like when you're about to leg lock. Anyways, he hyperextended my arm but with my thumbs down. I almost tapped but then i broke his arms free as i got one leg over and pushed it away. I don't get how I was so closed to getting owned by a newcomer after I've been doing 10th planet for around 3 months. Also, I rolled with another guy today and I got him in the lockdown. I had double underhooks and was about to kick him up and get into the dogfight but he managed to stop it. I know not all techniques work every time but I feel like nothing is working out for me. My ego's not hurt but I give it my all and still I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. I don't feel like dealing with trolls today so get out if you are one.

Sam Sales

noticed this on facebook earlier ;-)

Just takes time bro, be patient, we will get there in the end. :-)

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    Lots of questions man i have asked myself its all good we have bad days sometimes good wrestlers are very good at smash and passing basic rubber guard stuff or a good stack also just gotta remember when something happens flow with it and keep moving that i dont know how much i can say always keep moving. I hate being trapped in side control so i have forced myself to keep shrimping learned to get back to guard and put alot of time into sweeps and such just keep your head up and look at it from the outside to see if there was possibly anythign you could of done different.

Array

School
    RONIN
    Even as a blue, purple, and brown, we have days were nothing is working. Example, lately i'm working on quarter clinch, to lockdown, to prison guard, to the back, and then to spiderweb. That's all i will work on for a month. The first week, I stop everyone with it, they aren't used to my new half guard play. They are looking for sweeps, etc. Then in weeks 2 and 3 they shut me down and smash me. Even the blues sometimes. They are keen to my game now and know that's all i'm going for. Its during this time when frustration sets in, I ask myself questions. How did they stop me from using my mini stop, how do i make it better and fix it. Or maybe they keep breaking my lockdown, or not letting me get my perfect dbl unders.

Point being, you will always face this days as long as you do jiujitsu. It will get easier the more your experience increases, but no matter what. You will do the same thing to progress. You must ask questions and evaluate how to solve the puzzle. So look at it as a fun challenge. And when you succeed, you will find something else to improve. By the way, during weeks 4 and 5, after finding ways through the blockades to prison guard. I started smashing with it again. So hang in there and you will succeed.

Array

School
    North Queensland Fight Academy - Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Alvarez View Post
    Point being, you will always face this days as long as you do jiujitsu.
    and it's these suck days that build you up for the sessions when your invincible, and land everything

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Sorry to go off subject but awesome avatar Keith.
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Jason, you need more reps! Just keep plugging away at it.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Alpha MMA
    A few great quotes that i love, There is no losing in Jiu Jitsu, In Jiu Jitsu you either win or you learn,
    and, A black belt is just a white belt that never quit
    i most likely dont have hthe quotes exactly right but you get the basic idea
    The more reps and mat time you put in, the more progress you will gain
    Keep training hard brother

Array

School
    Rōnin
    It sounds a bit like you worry to much about your opponent, if someone smashes out of your rubber guard think about how you can make it tighter for next time that's all.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Koh View Post
    Today i rolled with a newcomer. He was way bigger than me and i got him in the rubber guard. He broke out of it with pure strength and we scrambled and got into a weird position that kinda looks like when you're about to leg lock. Anyways, he hyperextended my arm but with my thumbs down. I almost tapped but then i broke his arms free as i got one leg over and pushed it away. I don't get how I was so closed to getting owned by a newcomer after I've been doing 10th planet for around 3 months. Also, I rolled with another guy today and I got him in the lockdown. I had double underhooks and was about to kick him up and get into the dogfight but he managed to stop it. I know not all techniques work every time but I feel like nothing is working out for me. My ego's not hurt but I give it my all and still I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. I don't feel like dealing with trolls today so get out if you are one.
    The bolded is important. You've ONLY been doing it for 3 months. That's not really a long time. I've only been doing it for about 9-10 months. A lot of times I can have my way with newcomers. Other times newcomers are tough as nails. Especially the guys with wrestling back grounds. Their toughness has nothing to do with your progress. Your progress is individual. It's unrealistic to expect to beat every single newcomer dominantly. Especially when you've only been doing it for 3 months.

Another thing I picked up from your rant is that you need to think of back up plans. Lesson learned, you won't be able to hold everyone in your rubber guard. So what's your plan b? What's your plan C? You said you tried getting up to dogfight but he stopped you. WHy aren't you working electric chairs or mechanics? Why don't you reset and start from the whip up/fat whip? From rolling with my Coach Zog and Scott Yockel, that's one thing I always notice. They never commit to a move because they have 10 more back up plans based on my reaction. Start thinking in back up plans and you'll see a higher rate of success.

I'm not giving you advice as a master. I'm speaking white belt to white belt. I'm giving perspective. I'm telling you what has worked for me. Perspective, realistic expectations, and work the series. When I say work the series, I mean the WHOLE series. There's a reason why 10th planet doesn't just teach a move and move on. We learn paths.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast