Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin

Is there any other Photographers in here

Kinda off subject but just wondering if any of the other 10th planet warriors do photography or graphic design Always interested to talk to others and share experiences. If anyone is interested in checking out my work heres my page https://www.facebook.com/DLHPhotoandDesign I shoot with a canon 60d with kit lens 18-135 and super excited as that i just ordered the canon 24-70 f/2.8. finally be able to take some better shots i also have a home studio set up with green screen and continuous lighting for now upgrading to 3 alienbee b800's here shortly

Array

School
    North Queensland Fight Academy - Australia
    There's some nice shots on your facebook mate. I also shoot fights occasionally when I'm not spending my night out the back preping guys.

Your new lens will let you run a faster shutter speed as it'll let more light in which is perfect for the usual poorly lit fights.

In my experience pushing the lens right up to the cage will allow you to focus through a cage link hole so it wont appear in the main part of your shot, on the outside isn't so bad and can add to the effect.

When you get the new lens turn the auto focus off and practice with the manual focus. It takes time to get good at it but once you dial quick manual focus you wont miss shots while waiting for the auto focus to sort itself out.

Sounds like your building a sweet studio at home.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    I shoot for a living in NYC. Some of the photos of Eddie doing techniques on the main page of this site are mine. Also, any Smoke Serpent image you've seen that was shot on location is probably mine. I also shoot Marcelo Garcia on a regular basis. I have over a thousand images of him that have never really seen the light of day...I imagine the Academy will do something with them one of these days. I have some cool shots of Eddie rolling with Marcelo as well. Eddie has those. Maybe he'll release them one day.

If you want to check my stuff, my blog is more interesting than my actual website. It can be found here: www.johnricardblog.com. My twitter is www.twitter.com/johnricardnyc and I post photos there every day.

Best of luck with your own shooting...

Array

School
    Thank you both of you Kieth yea i been waiting along time for faster glass and usually i try to get up to the links unless its not allowable promoters usually put my at a table cage side so its the best i can get i would like to start shooting from above the cage since many cages have 2 supports one for video and one for photo. and Ric thats awesome gonna follow you on twitter now.

Array

School
    Striker Fight Center
    My wife is a Photographer. She shoots with a Canon 5D mkII and her main lenses are 24-70 and 50 (1.2). The 50 will get you the best quality but of course you cannot zoom. I'm not a photographer but I've learned a lot just from her years of shooting. I have a lot of respect for talented photographers because it's often hard to avoid the flood of wannabe photographers that flood the market with cheap prices and crappy work.

Speaking of Marcelo Garcia, my buddy Humberto Borges (Beto) is preparing to open an Alliance school in Atlanta on the opposite side from Jacare's and my wife just shot a bunch of photos of Beto along with Jacare.

Anyway, her work is here
    Last edited by Mark Holloway; 06-28-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Array

School
    Mark i deff agree i'm fairly new to it about a year in but have been to school for it and seminars and just lots and lots of practice my camera count is at almost 10,000 and i got the camera in October of 2011 i like the 50/55 as that is the closet to what we see so pics are usally most pleasing out of those i think after the 24-70 my next will be a prime lens thinkin the 85mm f1.2 then prolly the 70-200 f2.8 then hopefully after that i can upgrade my body to a full frame body. Photography is deff hard to get into with little money. I'm in this for the long haul so if i gotta spend to make money so be it.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidHamp View Post
    Mark i deff agree i'm fairly new to it about a year in but have been to school for it and seminars and just lots and lots of practice my camera count is at almost 10,000 and i got the camera in October of 2011 i like the 50/55 as that is the closet to what we see so pics are usally most pleasing out of those i think after the 24-70 my next will be a prime lens thinkin the 85mm f1.2 then prolly the 70-200 f2.8 then hopefully after that i can upgrade my body to a full frame body. Photography is deff hard to get into with little money. I'm in this for the long haul so if i gotta spend to make money so be it.
    Difference between a 1.8 lens and a 1.2 lens is like a third of a stop. That is, essentially nothing. And you're paying like $600 extra for that nothing. Also, if you are on a cropped sensor, an 85mm lens is too long for portraits. You should be using a 50mm 1.8, which probably costs well under $200.
    Last edited by Ric; 06-28-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Array

School
    I wanted the 85 for possibly cage fights i figured a prime lens is the only way i'm truly gonna be able to get fast shutter speeds in low light with out a crazy high ISO I've watched lots of reviews on the 1.8 vs 1.2 and they say they 1.2 is just built better and i agree idk why i havent gotten a 50mm yet.

Array

School
    If you are using any decent Nikon or Canon body (Nikon D700, Canon 5DMKII) you can easily shoot at ISO 3200 with no problem. Fast glass is a great purchase, but 1.2 lenses are more a gimmick than an actual smart photographic purchase.

Array

School
    Striker Fight Center
    When in doubt, go rent a few different lenses and try them out. Personally I have never met a single photographer who didn't think the 1.2 is a superior lens over 1.4 or 1.8, but me trying to convince you to get the 1.2 doesn't amount to anything unless you try and compare first hand and make a decision for yourself. Is the 60D full frame?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast