chris miah

How do you drill

The more you read the more top guys seem to get the reps in and spend drilling time, Mendes, Miyao etc. What ways do you guys tend to drill, a whole area e.g. half guard, closed guard etc, or do you follow the Llyod Irvin approach of literally repping 200+ times one move at a time.

Me myself I tend to have a set takedown system that I drill then usually pick an area that I want to e.g. Turtle guard lately. Just wanted people ideas and training methods

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Two or three things till i grasp the concept. Then I raise the resistance level of my partner by about 33% increments. Then I keep drilling till it feels fluid and controlled again. If the drill starts failing I go back to 0 resistance. If its too easy I make sure the grappling dummy is using proper base and defense. We continue until we're comfortable with our tech and defense then do live(100%) drills. If the tech succeeds or fails we restart. NO free rolling during drills!

It is almost guaranteed that flaws will be found at the varying levels of resistance forcing you back to the drawing board(0 resistance) over and over again leading to hundreds even thousands of reps to have tech you can be confident in in any situation. Lloyd's right. But I learned it from Eddie who preaches the exact thing.

chris miah

Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Two or three things till i grasp the concept. Then I raise the resistance level of my partner by about 33% increments. Then I keep drilling till it feels fluid and controlled again. If the drill starts failing I go back to 0 resistance. If its too easy I make sure the grappling dummy is using proper base and defense. We continue until we're comfortable with our tech and defense then do live(100%) drills. If the tech succeeds or fails we restart. NO free rolling during drills!

It is almost guaranteed that flaws will be found at the varying levels of resistance forcing you back to the drawing board(0 resistance) over and over again leading to hundreds even thousands of reps to have tech you can be confident in in any situation. Lloyd's right. But I learned it from Eddie who preaches the exact thing.
    Yeah thanks dude, another thing that interests me in what percentage do you you and others drill A game vs developing material. do you drill your A game majority of the time and add a little. Or always experimenting during drilling?

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    At 10th planet Rochester we rep "series.'" Like, we'll start in lockdown, practice whipping up for about 5-10 minutes to get the feel for it. Then we'll add a bit so we'll rep whip up to old school. Then we add trouble shooting. So we'll rep whip up to electric chair. Then add stoner control. And so forth.

Each hour of class we do about 50 minutes of reps and 10 minutes of resistance drilling. We'll switch partners and take turns putting in reps on team mates who are resisting about 40-60 percent.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    At 10th Planet Hartford we usualy focus on one specific thing (Rubber guard, spiderweb, guard escapes, ect) for about a week or two. So for example for a duration of 15-20 days we will practice a few different techniques but mostly focus on say spiderweb. Then after that for 2 weeks we will practice many different stuff but the main focus would be on something else like maybe guard escapes.