Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th planet Peterborough
    For the record Im not hating on Anderson, but he did do a few things that would probably be complained about if Chael wasnt so mouthy. You can dislike what Cheal did to sell the fight ... but Anderson wasnt exactly professional either ... thats all Im getting across (and I like Anderson ...)
    Stewart Landry
    Head Instructor 10th Planet Peterborough

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Honestly, there isn't even a tablespoon of vaseline on his (or any other fighter's) face before the fight starts. There isn't even a full tablespoon on the cutman's hand! If a miniscule amount of vaseline makes the difference between winning and losing a five-round fight at the highest level of the sport... ...well then you probably shouldn't have been in that fight in the first place. You need to go home and work on your clinch. If you can't handle a guy with that tiny amount of grease on him, how are going to do anything in the fifth round when he's REALLY sweaty and greasy? And this is MMA -- Does vaseline destroy your ability to gauge distance and timing? Does it completely negate your wrestling? If it does, you need to work on your boxing and your wrestling not your whining.

That said, c'mon Anderson. That was just silly. You're just ASKING for people to throw an absolute shit hemorrhage when you do that.

silva didn't win because he had vasaline on his chest

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona
    The tiny amount of vaseline really won't make a difference, but perhaps he just doesn't like the feel? I know the feeling of any vaseline or gel on my face (lip balm, petroleum jelly) anything like that, REEEEALY gets under my skin. He doesn't exactly grease himself up, he just takes the shit off his face and rubs it on his chest like you would if you had a shirt and wiped some shit on it. I dunno at the end of the day it's such a tiny amount.

Array

School
    Dragon Brand Martial Arts
    i heard Chael say with my own ears not 5 feet from him last night its in the rules to push around what ever is left on your face where ever you like and its just one of those things and he did not care.

Array

School
    Frontline Muay Thai
    I liked that the ref saw it, and wiped it off before the fight started.

But, how can they really prevent this? Say a fight starts: Then 'the' fighter wipes the Vaseline from his face, onto his body. They can't stop the fight to deal with that situation, it would be ridicoulus, Imo.

It disgusted me when I saw it. Just because he did it before the fight was on. But since it was wiped off, it doesn't matter. Gj ref!

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Dear OP, so what do you want man? Fighters shall not touch their own body if they ever touch their face? It is impossible to implement certain things in MMA such as the occasional back of the head shot while one fighter is turning away from a punch and the other is trying to cave his head in. Is it cheating? Well yeah technically, but again so hard to judge unless it is deliberate. Just let go off this bullshit. Anderson Silva is on a different level than Chael Sonnen, little vaseline here there will not change the fact. Even Chael himself recognized it. Same with Bj Penn. St Pierre would have kicked his ass vaseline or not. I love BJ but St Pierre was twice his size and BJ had love handles at 170, that in itself was 10 times more important than the slippery back of St Pierre.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    Dear OP, so what do you want man? Fighters shall not touch their own body if they ever touch their face? It is impossible to implement certain things in MMA such as the occasional back of the head shot while one fighter is turning away from a punch and the other is trying to cave his head in. Is it cheating? Well yeah technically, but again so hard to judge unless it is deliberate. Just let go off this bullshit. Anderson Silva is on a different level than Chael Sonnen, little vaseline here there will not change the fact. Even Chael himself recognized it. Same with Bj Penn. St Pierre would have kicked his ass vaseline or not. I love BJ but St Pierre was twice his size and BJ had love handles at 170, that in itself was 10 times more important than the slippery back of St Pierre.
    Perhaps I came off too harshly, but I really don't get too invested in these things. I just wanted to open the topic for discussion and gain some more information on the subject. I don't really care either way, and I don't necessarily believe that it even gives him any advantage, I'm just curious why nobody from the UFC says anything about it if it is illegal. If he's getting away with it and it does give him an advantage then I actually think that's a pretty slick move and I'm impressed. (no pun intended) I like Silva and I like Sonnen, I honestly wanna see #3 just to see what would happen but it doesn't look like Dana wants to do it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    it's weird. some people seem to think it's not a big deal since it wasn't a large amount. like you should be allowed to spread a certain amount of vaseline over your body before a fight. but the rules seem to disagree.

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    My friend, Jeff Hammond, recently beat Brandon Quick's prodigy, Levi Mowles, again. Another teammate said he saw Levi rubbing lotion on his gi collar before his match. lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast