Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

GSP "WANTS" bout with Spider Silva...

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publ...le_14080.shtml

"Georges St-Pierre told me he wants [to fight Anderson Silva]," Zahabi said. "But right now he has to get back on the horse and fight Carlos Condit and be Champion again. He needs to keep focused."

"[If the Silva fight happens' ideally I'd like a catch weight. I think it'd be more fair. If you fight at a catch weight, Silva won't be 20 pounds heavier. 177 or 178 pounds is much more fair."

~Firas Zahabi
    This is actually great news to me. It's kind of a shame it's happening while both of their hype is kind of dying down, but I'm still interested in the fight. And I agree that there should be a catch weight.

So since the fight seems more plausible than before, what are your predictions?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Silva vs Sonnen I

Only this time without the triangle. Not saying I think GSP is "better" than Silva, I just think this will be a match up of style vs style.. And GSP seems to have the winning one in this match for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    Silva vs Sonnen I

Only this time without the triangle. Not saying I think GSP is "better" than Silva, I just think this will be a match up of style vs style.. And GSP seems to have the winning one in this match for me.
    I agree GSP's gnp style would match up perfectly against silva. I say GSP by points, big upset. my only concern would be that GSP's cardio would suffer due to the fact that he'd have to pack on some pounds.

Array

School
    Premier Martial Arts ( Team Megaton )
    Silva is one of the last masters that still compete, IMO everyone else in the UFC is a student in development. Don't get me wrong about GSP he can be a murderer, and he is a ninja but if you have trouble with a guy like Cozchek moving up in weight might be a bad move. Having Silva drop weight at his age isn't such a healthy idea either.
    Either way I would look forward to this test of skill.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    Silva vs Sonnen I

Agree with you. I believe at catchweight, GSP would finish where Sonnen couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Calvert View Post
    Silva is one of the last masters that still compete, IMO everyone else in the UFC is a student in development. Don't get me wrong about GSP he can be a murderer, and he is a ninja but if you have trouble with a guy like Cozchek moving up in weight might be a bad move. Having Silva drop weight at his age isn't such a healthy idea either.
    Either way I would look forward to this test of skill.
    Great point Mike. I do disagree that GSP had trouble with Kos though. That was a pretty one sided affair. The only problem GSP had was being aggressive enough to close the deal. I blame Greg Jackson (although I'm a huge fan of his). But regardless, GSP had NO trouble with Kos.

But I do agree, no matter what, it's a great test of skill for both.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Yeah i dont agree GSP had trouble with Kos either. I think Kos was more prepared for GSP in their rematch and realized GSP could wrestle so he was able to negate more takedowns but GSP's stand up is levels above Koschecks so thats where GSP decided to keep it. Breaking someones orbital with 1000 jabs seems pretty dominate to me

I agree with Brent. I loved watching that fight and being amazed at what his jab was doing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    There is absolutely no way in hell GSP can win against Silva. No finish, no decision nothing. Chael is a better wrestler than GSP and much larger and stronger than him plus the steroids. GSP wrestled Dan Hardy to the ground and Dan got back on his feet numerous times defending submissions in the mean time. I would like to remind you that Dan Hardy's jiujitsu at the time was barely blue belt level, " I saw it with my own eyes, I was in the training room with him and rolled with him about 5 times", his wrestling was probably similar. The heavy bags would basically cry every time he swung that left hook though which is another matter.
    Silva has technique, experience, reach, height, size,weight and frame advantage. I really do not see how GSP wins this fight...

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I would agree that Sonnen would probably beat GSP in a strict wrestling match. But this is MMA, and theres many more factors that go into it. I dont think that Chael lost the 2nd fight because he was no longer "enhanced".. but because he had no way of closing the distance to work his wrestling. (After the first round). He looked scared to get anywhere near Anderson anytime Silva pretended to be on the offense. When he wasnt shooting for a takedown, he appeared to be doing whatever he could to avoid eating a strike by anderson. (Even if it meant covering up and falling on the ground). GSP is GREAT at performing takedowns under pressure. How many times have you seen him dodge a punch, and follow instantly with a double leg? I would say GSPs style of wrestling is much more effective in the cage than Chaels. (Though I still put chael towards the top of the list). I think the difference in this match will be that GSP will shoot in, where Chael got overwhelmed. You have to think.. Chael dominated the 1st 6 rounds against Anderson.. and then lost the 7th because he fell off course and didnt stay on his gameplan. There was distance between him and anderson, and he panicked and just tried to throw whatever he could in order to occupy Anderson and avoid him taking offense (my opinion). I dont think GSP will make that mistake. As boring as he might be to watch sometime.. he sticks to a gameplan better than most anyone I know in MMA.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    There is absolutely no way in hell GSP can win against Silva. No finish, no decision nothing. Chael is a better wrestler than GSP and much larger and stronger than him plus the steroids. GSP wrestled Dan Hardy to the ground and Dan got back on his feet numerous times defending submissions in the mean time. I would like to remind you that Dan Hardy's jiujitsu at the time was barely blue belt level, " I saw it with my own eyes, I was in the training room with him and rolled with him about 5 times", his wrestling was probably similar. The heavy bags would basically cry every time he swung that left hook though which is another matter.
    Silva has technique, experience, reach, height, size,weight and frame advantage. I really do not see how GSP wins this fight...
    It seems Eddie Bravo would disagree since he gave Dan Hardy his purple belt 7 months prior.... you may now attempt to remove your foot from your mouth.