Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    If they understand the twister, there's no reason to yell. My guess is that they're terrified of spine locks cuz they don't understand the twister. You're not going to paralyze someone by accident with a twister. They'll tap before then.

If you can afford the 20 minutes, it's worth it to do what you love. You'd be surprised to hear how many guys drive an hour or more to get to class.

We have a guy Justin Harter drive 45 mins one way to train with us almost everyday. Truly dedicated killer. Moral of the story go to the moon. Which moon is it? Jw

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by DanConway View Post
    When using 10p moves would be criticized for using 'American jiujitsu' and eventually kicked out of their school, being told 'here or there but not both'.
    By that logic, then shouldn't it be called Mexican Jiu Jitsu? Because BJJ was made by Brazilians, and in this case 10P was made by Eddie who is Mexican..(Right?)

Anyway to the matter at hand, it sounds like your instructors mind is narrow. Last time I check, its called "Jiu Jitsu" so it shouldn't matter where it came from, because its a JIU JITSU class! So he had no right to flame you...Everyone is right though...You probably should head to a moon...So put on your astronaut gear, and get yourself a rocket.

If you can't drive there, try walking..Its far I know..But I'm planing on doing that to get to a JJ class since I have no one to train with currently.

Array

School
    Infinite JJ
    Not trying to play devils advocate, but the twister is an illiegal move in Gi because of safety concerns, just as you are a white belt so therefore can not do heel hooks in gi as well. I always ask the instructor of whatever school I am visiting about what submissions I am allowed to do to avoid that ackwardness. I also have a 10P patch on my Gi pants so the teacher will usually tell me up front no twisters, electirc chairs etc beforehand but if not then like I said I will ask. It isnt always about the hate for the system all the time. These guys are can be liable for injuries even with a waiver so they do not want anything risky done by us white belts.
    I do agree he should'nt have yelled at you in front of the class and instead just told you right then you can not do twisters and then explained rules of his gym for your belt level. You can always get to the position without touching the neck for the actual submission and transition into something different so you can at least get reps doing it, but let your teacher know first so he doesnt scream at you when he sees you going to it. That way he knows you wont be actually trying the submission but just getting to the move and then moving on so no chance of injury. At one school I go to electric chairs are not permitted so I just go to the sweep without attempting the sub, you know when you have it anyways so better to keep the roll going.
    I do agree with everyone though if you want to do 10P submissions then the best thing is to visit a school, I try to go to SF as often as possible, but somehow have them all done on me instead of me doing them

Array

School
    Again, anyone terrified of the twister doesn't know it too well. I see whitebelts pull off twisters every so often in my school. No one ever got paralyzed. Mainly because we're not retarded and don't crank like we're in abu dhabi.... also because the spine is more resilient than you think. Watch some of Master Eddie's matches where he's practically tearing a guy apart with twister. No paralysis. It's not as dangerous as people think.

Heel hooks and toe holds are more dangerous than twisters. You need a lot more torque to break a spine via twister than you do to tear a guy's knee apart or break an ankle.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Watch some of Master Eddie's matches where he's practically tearing a guy apart with twister.
    Can these be found on youtube?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    If they understand the twister, there's no reason to yell. My guess is that they're terrified of spine locks cuz they don't understand the twister. You're not going to paralyze someone by accident with a twister. They'll tap before then.

If you can afford the 20 minutes, it's worth it to do what you love. You'd be surprised to hear how many guys drive an hour or more to get to class.
    Fuck Ben drives 1.5hr to class and he averages 3x a week.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Yes. Theres a couple old school highlight reels

Quote Originally Posted by gatorrrrrrrrr View Post
    Yeah he's Brazilian. No need to yell in front of 20 people... Let me know afterwards, none the less why suppress a valid submission?
    I can see why he reacted that way. Only because as you stated youre just starting off. Eventhough you are a smart grappler and werent just going to snatch it and rip his head off, hes probably seen a number of injuries from newbies getting ahold of something and just going balls to the wall. I know ive seen it especially with leg locks. Just stopping the match would have been sufficient but he was probably reacting out of fear of seeing another injury.
    That being said I would evaluate whether this gym is going to give you what you want. If you want to be able to apply submissions like the twister, which is a legit sub, I'd look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Brent Smith; 08-29-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Vista
    the twister can be used in high school wrestling

my son (when he was 11) got kicked out of a traditional bjj school for training 10pjj

about 13 yrs ago when i owned a bjj school and had a brazilian black belt instructor/partner, he would always say things like thats not jiu-jitsu or that move is grosso (meaning just mean and dirty, not technique) to any move that wasnt in his arsenal

moral of the story, go to a different school

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post

Check 7:55. Eddie was practically ripping the guy in half. That guy's not paralyzed. If he used that much torque on a heel hook, he would've turned that foot 180 degrees and ripped the knee to shreds.

His commentary was hilarious too. The whole vid is worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
    Last edited by David Rosado; 08-29-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast