Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Royce Gracie Network

Got yelled at for pulling off the twister

So I train gi, I'm fairly new and when rolling I was rolling against a guy with my experience. I had his back and was trying to set up a RNC or Collar choke but he had his arms tucked and in Trex position making chokes and armlocks difficult.

I've been watching a lot of tutorials by Eddie and the Korean Zombie on setting up the twister so I thought it was a good time to try it. I took my one hook out and put him in lockdown. I pushed him away snatched his arm and put it behind my head. Just as I was about to grab him his and apply it my instructor was yelling that "WE DON'T DO THAT, NOBODY SHOWED YOU THAT WE DONT TEACH THAT IN THE GRACIE NETWORK, WHY DONT YOU THINK FIRST. pretty much embarrassing me in front of the class for trying to be creative and try new things... I wasn't gonna rip it as hard as I could... The same as I'm not gonna rip a kimura as hard as I could when rolling.. I would have eased into it with contious pressure until he tapped.

Was it unfair for him to do that or just?
    Either way there's a 10th planet school about a 20 min drive further and im seriously considering going there. Only reason I haven't is this one is a bit closer and 5 of my friends go to it opposed to 10P.. Plus a bit further drive (not much though).

Quote Originally Posted by gatorrrrrrrrr View Post
    So I train gi, I'm fairly new and when rolling I was rolling against a guy with my experience. I had his back and was trying to set up a RNC or Collar choke but he had his arms tucked and in Trex position making chokes and armlocks difficult.

I've been watching a lot of tutorials by Eddie and the Korean Zombie on setting up the twister so I thought it was a good time to try it. I took my one hook out and put him in lockdown. I pushed him away snatched his arm and put it behind my head. Just as I was about to grab him his and apply it my instructor was yelling that "WE DON'T DO THAT, NOBODY SHOWED YOU THAT WE DONT TEACH THAT IN THE GRACIE NETWORK, WHY DONT YOU THINK FIRST. pretty much embarrassing me in front of the class for trying to be creative and try new things... I wasn't gonna rip it as hard as I could... The same as I'm not gonna rip a kimura as hard as I could when rolling.. I would have eased into it with contious pressure until he tapped.

Was it unfair for him to do that or just?
    Either way there's a 10th planet school about a 20 min drive further and im seriously considering going there. Only reason I haven't is this one is a bit closer and 5 of my friends go to it opposed to 10P.. Plus a bit further drive (not much though).
    take the extra 20 minutes and go to a moon

Array

School
    Salem
    I'm sorry to hear about that Gator. I would go to a school that is the closest fit. It was sort of wrong for him to do that. But your new so he has no idea your experience or temperament. Neck cranks can be brutal if ripped. Might have been a knee-jerk reaction on his part. Him being an instructor of a certain background he likely had to say something in that regard. Is he Brazilian by chance?

Array

School
    Royce Gracie Network
    Yeah he's Brazilian. No need to yell in front of 20 people... Let me know afterwards, none the less why suppress a valid submission?

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    What's the gym's policy on neck cranks?

Whenever I join or visit a gym I literally ask the head instructor what submission they allow during live rolling.

Array

School
    Royce Gracie Network
    I don't think there is one... Or is but was never aware of

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Tough to say then. If they've banned all neck cranks then I can understand your instructor getting upset. If he was yelling out of defense of the curriculum without regard for the cranks then it's kind of lame.

I mean it's his gym and he obviously gets to dictate how things will work on his mats and I respect an instructor's need to control behavior on the mats. However, for me that wouldn't fit with my view of grappling as a whole and I don't think I could continue training there if my instructor was just trying to pigeon hole my game down one path.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I'd make the trip to the Moon too. Not even worth fighting the dude.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    At 10p north, we have a few students who started cross training with us because their traditional curriculum school only had 1 or 2 nogi classes a week, and they wanted additional nogi mat time. They quickly started advancing in skill past their classmates in their gi classes, and when using 10p moves would be criticized for using 'American jiujitsu' and eventually kicked out of their school, being told 'here or there but not both'.

I think in alot of cases, its just the instructor wants their students in the same classes to all be learning the same things, and progress at the same level. They have defined curriculum they have determined as what they feel is the best way for people to grow and learn. If they are only teaching new white belts how to break guard and take/defend positions, and MAYBE a triangle and armbar, and dont want them doing any flashy subs or be distracted other than JUST focusing on the basics over and over till they are more than bored. And when people start to bring stuff in like leg locks and other flashy jitsu, other people get excited and play around with them, there's less focus and desire on the fundamentals and a higher risk of injury to new students. People developing at their own pace, on their own, and this both goes against their 'plan' and makes the instructor feel like he has lack of control.

Regardless, there no need for him to try to make an example of you and flame you infront of the class... Is this about following a curriculum, or you growing as a grappler to your best capacities? it sounds to me like you would thrive at a moon compared to this school... 10p is all about growth, trying new things, and nobody at 10p will EVER yell at you for anything unless you do something stupid like try to hurt someone or something that warrants it...

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    The big issue of what you wrote is accurate, is that they are close minded and I would GTFO of that school right away and make the extra 20 minute drive, and convince your friend to come with you.

This:
    WE DON'T DO THAT, NOBODY SHOWED YOU THAT WE DONT TEACH THAT IN THE GRACIE NETWORK
    is lame.

If you have a 10th Planet moon that close to where you are already travelling to, you should be going there IMO. There are guys all over the world that WISH they had a 10th Planet moon that close within reach of them.

As far as non-10P schools go, we have a Gracie affiliate in my hometown that our 10P guys are not welcome at, even to casually train. They don't like 10P practitioners because our coach dominates them on the mats. I will let Stew expand on that if he feels like it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast