Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fk the gi!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRI5 MA50N View Post
    I don't see my advantage if I'm studying and training in no gi. I'm not grabbing his gi, because I'm not trained to.
    If were following gi rules, then I would. I'm just no comfortable starting bad habits because one guy wears a gi to a no gi class.
    I'd say take the advantage he's giving you. If he gets pissed that he's getting collar choked or that you're slipping out of submissions because he can't hold on to you, maybe he'll change his mind about rolling in the gi. Some folks just need to SEE where the advantages and disadvantages are; telling them until your blue in the face just doesn't work with some folks. If he gets sick of being gi choked and arm barred all the time he may well see the light.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    I am 100% nogi.

Array

School
    Except for I wore gi pants last night. lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    If he's wearing a gi, and you're not, you have a huge advantage.
    Only if youre used to grabbing lapels..If not you may grab the wrong place and pay for it. In a smaller tournament "back in the day" I watched a bunch of guys who werent wearing gi's get armbarred very quickly by a guy in the gi because they grabbed in the wrong spot

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Except for I wore gi pants last night. lol
    So just 50% lol
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Chris, how long have you been training?

Brent, don't put your arms in the same places you wouldn't nogi. I started straight nogi. First gi I ever put on, was in the blue div of a tournament and proper jj fundamentals allowed me to win with 0 gi experience.

Being able to adapt and capitalize on any advantage can be very useful when trying to send a message. Ie- don't wear a gi to nogi. What you call bad habits I call useful tricks for the futer. If you continue to train, you will see more like him.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    So just 50% lol
    Hahaha, yeah well I had a whaling bruise on my shin, so I had to pad it with an MMA shin pad and tape it on, so I wore pants over it just for that night. I really did like the feel of rolling with the Gi pants though. Way more traction.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Hahaha, yeah well I had a whaling bruise on my shin, so I had to pad it with an MMA shin pad and tape it on, so I wore pants over it just for that night. I really did like the feel of rolling with the Gi pants though. Way more traction.
    100% no-gi, no pants, no rules or it's only 50%. Wanna be real. Roll naked. Practioner is subjected to persecution and law suits.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I think Im the only one that doesnt like rolling with gi pants
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Shit well then we need some women to join our club!

Array

School
    Rickson Gracie Leiden (Holland)
    I look at it like i play Call of Duty, you have Hardcore and non-Hardcore both equally challenging, but played different within the same game. Were with Hardcore the player dies within 3 hits (depending on the weapon).
    Were with non-Hardcore you need to focus on body parts really hard like the head to kill him quicker because the unit can take way more damage. It's the same difference, but everyone has to choose there own path.
    In Eddie's vision who's focus is to train for MMA, Rickson Gracie is focusing on the basic bjj techniques were Gracie Barra is focusing on the tournaments.
    Everyone has to choose there own way of Bjj on there journey, in my opinion there is no wrong or right, you choose whats wrong or right for u.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast