Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you get your friends into Jiu Jitsu

Ive been trying to get my friends in Jiu Jitsu... Explaining to them how great it is but they are very pessimistic and say they are too small... I explain to them it's about the smaller person being able to conquer much bigger people. They are still pessimistic... Are there any good videos out that aren't too long that show how great JJ is... Most people think that because I'm in a martial art that it's breaking bricks and boards and doing weird Kung fu moves that would never work in an actual fight... If anyone has a YouTube video/trailer of jiu jitsu that's be awesome

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    If you find out, let me know. I've been trying for years. None of my friends have any interest in martial arts. They don't even watch fights.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Just keep choking them out until they decide they want to learn defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Phill Schwartz View Post
    Just keep choking them out until they decide they want to learn defense!
    Hahaha I only do when they challenge me and it's usually when we're all drinking.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Hamilton View Post
    Ive been trying to get my friends in Jiu Jitsu... Explaining to them how great it is but they are very pessimistic and say they are too small... I explain to them it's about the smaller person being able to conquer much bigger people. They are still pessimistic... Are there any good videos out that aren't too long that show how great JJ is... Most people think that because I'm in a martial art that it's breaking bricks and boards and doing weird Kung fu moves that would never work in an actual fight... If anyone has a YouTube video/trailer of jiu jitsu that's be awesome
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I have the same problem. All my buddies love MMA but they dont want to roll. I think they dont want to "lose". I try saying, it's just training, were just gonna get some moves down, were not trying to tap each other. I always take it easy when I do convince someone but IDK. And were all about the same size. I have a couple guys I met recently in my MMA class who say there interested but we'll see if they actually show up. Now my problem is I don't have mats to practice on. They're damn expensive. My assortment of old yoga mats is not really cutting it. If all the guys who expressed interest actually start showing up I'll have four guys. Not holding my breath though. I tried e-mailing the only two people who were on the map of 10th planet thugs and thugettes in my area. No response. I just have to get really high and wrestle my pitbull for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    I have the same problem. All my buddies love MMA but they dont want to roll. I think they dont want to "lose". I try saying, it's just training, were just gonna get some moves down, were not trying to tap each other. I always take it easy when I do convince someone but IDK. And were all about the same size. I have a couple guys I met recently in my MMA class who say there interested but we'll see if they actually show up. Now my problem is I don't have mats to practice on. They're damn expensive. My assortment of old yoga mats is not really cutting it. If all the guys who expressed interest actually start showing up I'll have four guys. Not holding my breath though. I tried e-mailing the only two people who were on the map of 10th planet thugs and thugettes in my area. No response. I just have to get really high and wrestle my pitbull for now.
    I like light rolling in the summer on grass outside and going over technique. I don't know why schools don't do it more often outside. I guess inssurance or something. Most give me the oldest excuse "I'm too busy" and the ones that really don't understand what JJ is say "I'm too small". I guess you can't force anyone to do anything, I'm just looking through YouTube videos and what you guys post to see if I find anything great I can send to them or get them to watch to explain what JJ is a bit more and pump them up to come out and at least try it a couple times... If thy hated it and didn't wanna come back at least they tried it... The reson I want my friends to join so bad is because I know they'd get hooked and love it just like me. It's the first step that's hard for them.

Just the same as the first step was hard for me and im sure for a lot of us.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    I rolled a bunch with guys outweighing me by 50 to 100+ lbs.
    Here's one against a buddy, fellow brown belt. He was 210 and I was 153 lbs. jiu jitsu keeps us at least stalemating, but if they guy wasnt as technical, I probably could have done better.
    If I had a video of every big guy match i've had, it would be a neat mixture of taking the back(rnc) and leg locks.
    Hope this inspires your buddies!

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Hamilton View Post
    What I have found is that my training partners become my friends

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast