Array

School
    10th Planet Corona

Anyone here familiar or knowledgable in head trauma?

I've been training and fighting for 4 years, going on 5. For about 4-5 times per week for MMA. I have never been TKO'd or knocked out unconscience in a fight or sparring war, but has anyone here ever played it safe and got their head checked out just to be on the safe side? I don't display any neurological defects, other than the occasional migrain or recurring headache. I'd assume I could start with some sort of MRI or scanning of the brain? I have some really good insurance so why not take advantage.

If you have any experiance with this or know which direction to point me in please chime in.

Thanks fellas,

Hollywood

here is what Dr. George Lundberg wrote in 1984 in the Journal of the American Medical Association: “The fist hits the head, and the skull moves immediately. The brain lags a bit, then it glides and swirls and bumps around. Brain fibers are torn, brain cells die, small blood vessels are torn, and little hemorrhages occur. This repeats itself hundreds and thousands of times.”

if you are concerned at all I would not recommend absorbing continued strikes to the head - it is not worth the risk. some people are more susceptible than others. I recently wrote an article on this topic which i already posted on this forum:

http://thebjjmind.com/2012/09/13/mma...ilty-pleasure/

I know some MMA fighters who have been at it longer than you have and are now showing some signs of neurological dysfunction. It is not like a "normal" injury that heals - that is the sad part. best of luck.

Array

School
    10WO
    I'll come at you with from more of a healthcare professional point of view, as I've been an ICU RN for a few more months than I've been training jitz/mma: speak with your primary care physician about your concerns.

Your doctor will assess you and can send you on to a neurologist for further evaluation if they think it necessary. And about insurance companies, if they have ANY reason to think that any tests where not necessary, you will more than likely be eating the entire cost of any tests and radiological studies you have done.

And of course if you are worried about it in the mean time, don't put yourself into a position to take any head shots. I know that the guys I train with would pull their punches, I'd hope your training partners would do the same for you.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona
    Good stuff fellas and thanks for the knowledge. I've always been a smart student of the game so to date I can honestly say I feel great, not jinxing myself but I could see a long journey in MMA for myself so long as I continue to follow my plan carefully. School is priority right now and I keep MMA as my passion. I'd never wish to rely solely on it so I'm definitely doing proper research to maintain my health.

I actually e-mailed a few doctors after I posted this and got back the same news... Unless I'm feeling sever symptoms there was no need for running any tests of any kind.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks again!

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Team
    I ate 40 shots from my guard in my MMA debut. When I got home I blazed and then went to the bathroom to put some Visine in. When I tilted my head back to put the drops in I started spinning like crazy. For a month when I got up I would spin for about 10 seconds. I had a shitty concussion and I'm done fighting.