Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sarasin View Post
    sounds cool, i don`t think i have herd of that surgery. I hope more sugents will start doing them. fusing two vertebra's together seems like a bad idea..
    It is pretty new in the states, but they have been doing it in your neck of the woods for a while. I didn't want to do the fusion, because there is a pretty high percentage of having to do another in 3 to 5 years because of the excess stress it places on the other vertebra's.

Quote Originally Posted by christopherd503 View Post
    Toby,

I have had a disk replacent with a fusion and I have full range of motion. My neck gets easily sore but I try to stay away from most action that puts my neck out there. Guillotines, neck cranks, shooting, etc. Still a little sceptical going 100 percent and training full time so please keep me posted on your progress along with everyone involved with this post.
    I will keep everyone posted!

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    The way Joe rolls, you wouldn't know he was injured. Is this a ploy, Joe, to lure us in? LOL. Hope you get this taken care of soon. You rolled good today, however!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    haha...thks coach...I actually started this thread back in 2012 when I first injured my neck.... my symptoms aren't nearly as bad now... only flares up when you all wrap my neck up pretty bad or if I slack on my posture at work

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Hey Joe,
    I realize I'm late to the party here, but I am a chiropractor and felt like tossing in my 2 cents. Here are some of my thoughts based on what I've read in this thread so far:
    - I'm really glad to hear the McKenzie exercises are helping, they can be hugely beneficial for disc issues whether it's neck or low back. If it's helping I say keep it up.
    - The importance of posture can never be understated, and sometimes we need help rehabbing it like any other injury. In most cases, discs only become bulged/ruptured/herniated as a result of cumulative stress from poor posture and poor biomechanics. Add on to that the stress your body goes through grappling, and it doesn't take a genius to realize the risk. That said I don't know what your chiropractor was doing, but if you're interested in a second opinion to see if anything is being missed (in terms of your posture and spinal alignment) to maximize your rehab potential, check out this website's directory: www.idealspine.com I've used the technique described on the website to rehab all kinds of disc injuries and even help people avoid surgery.
    - Yes, cortisone shots and other pain relieving injections are simply putting a bandaid on it, and most of the time they've never even been approved by the FDA for the purpose of alleviating the pains they're being used for. Skip them whenever possible.
    - Same with surgeries. They're getting better and better at surgery so that you can have a greater ability to return to your normal routine, but keep in mind whatever they're putting into your body with that surgery cannot compare to the tissue you're born with, so they can never say you'll be 100% because it's not going to move exactly like normal healthy tissuse. Avoid the surgery unless you're risking long-term nerve and muscle atrophy, or loss of organ function. Pain is not a good enough reason for surgery in most cases.

Long story short, seek out a professional that can help you move correctly to naturally reduce the stress on the disc. Eat clean to reduce systemic inflammation that aggravates the symptoms. Talk to your doctor about supplementing with vitamin D and fish oil, again to help reduce systemic inflammation. Listen to your body when you're rolling, and good luck.

Array

School
    Easton
    Just this last week my left foot & leg start to go numb below the knee when I sit on the floor. Afraid I've injured something in my back lifting weights. My BJJ instructor just got surgery for a disk injury that was making his leg go numb. 6 weeks recovery minimum.
    Also I just listened to JRE#491 where Rogan mentions therapy he is doing for disk injuries. Here is the info... It's called Regenokine therapy. They spin your blood and re-inject it. Sounds easy. I doubt my insurance is covering this. Good luck.

http://www.lifespanmedicine.com/

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    I still swear by the Mckenzies Principle. Of course what works for 1 may not work for everyone but what have you got to lose giving it a go. I still haven't had a major flare up since this thread started either.

If you're ever in a urinal with me I'll be the one 'retracting and rolling back'

Life changing.
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    It's nice to see I'm not the only one here who is (actually was) a health professional

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C. Davila View Post
    Hey Joe,
    I realize I'm late to the party here, but I am a chiropractor and felt like tossing in my 2 cents. Here are some of my thoughts based on what I've read in this thread so far:
    - I'm really glad to hear the McKenzie exercises are helping, they can be hugely beneficial for disc issues whether it's neck or low back. If it's helping I say keep it up.
    - The importance of posture can never be understated, and sometimes we need help rehabbing it like any other injury. In most cases, discs only become bulged/ruptured/herniated as a result of cumulative stress from poor posture and poor biomechanics. Add on to that the stress your body goes through grappling, and it doesn't take a genius to realize the risk. That said I don't know what your chiropractor was doing, but if you're interested in a second opinion to see if anything is being missed (in terms of your posture and spinal alignment) to maximize your rehab potential, check out this website's directory: www.idealspine.com I've used the technique described on the website to rehab all kinds of disc injuries and even help people avoid surgery.
    - Yes, cortisone shots and other pain relieving injections are simply putting a bandaid on it, and most of the time they've never even been approved by the FDA for the purpose of alleviating the pains they're being used for. Skip them whenever possible.
    - Same with surgeries. They're getting better and better at surgery so that you can have a greater ability to return to your normal routine, but keep in mind whatever they're putting into your body with that surgery cannot compare to the tissue you're born with, so they can never say you'll be 100% because it's not going to move exactly like normal healthy tissuse. Avoid the surgery unless you're risking long-term nerve and muscle atrophy, or loss of organ function. Pain is not a good enough reason for surgery in most cases.

Long story short, seek out a professional that can help you move correctly to naturally reduce the stress on the disc. Eat clean to reduce systemic inflammation that aggravates the symptoms. Talk to your doctor about supplementing with vitamin D and fish oil, again to help reduce systemic inflammation. Listen to your body when you're rolling, and good luck.

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    I de like to see what studies have been done on this. Seems shady but maybe it works to get rid of inflammation, but specific exercises really is the key, there is no secret potion that will make everything go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rock d View Post
    Just this last week my left foot & leg start to go numb below the knee when I sit on the floor. Afraid I've injured something in my back lifting weights. My BJJ instructor just got surgery for a disk injury that was making his leg go numb. 6 weeks recovery minimum.
    Also I just listened to JRE#491 where Rogan mentions therapy he is doing for disk injuries. Here is the info... It's called Regenokine therapy. They spin your blood and re-inject it. Sounds easy. I doubt my insurance is covering this. Good luck.

http://www.lifespanmedicine.com/

I graduate this week with a degree in physical therapy and something I think you would benefit from is find a clinic that specialize in postural restoration and I think you would benefit greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C. Davila View Post
    Hey Joe,

+1 Gold

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast