Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    let us know how you're getting on joe. wish you better brother.

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmma101 View Post
    let us know how you're getting on joe. wish you better brother.
    Thanks bro! The McKenzie workouts are seeming to help already!

Array

School
    United BJJ Qatar/10th Planet Birmingham
    Hi Joe. I have been diagnosed with C5 C6 bulging discs, I have been off the mat for about 2 months now and I'm starting to get frustrated. I have been seeing an osteopath and the treatment was going well, he suggested some cardio on the x trainer as it was low impact and some body weight work. I did a couple of sessions and now the pain in my neck has returned along with tingling in my left arm, concentrated around the bicep and forearm which was not there before. Unfortunately the osteopath has left the country now and he was the only one here (I live in Qatar). Just wanted to know how you rehabbed your injury and how long it was before you could return to rolling. Thanks. Also thanks for the Mckenzie exercises Tim, just started today.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Ive had the same problem for over 20 years now. Its what prevented me from trying JiuJitsu for so long. Eventually I said "screw it" and ive actually noticed my neck locks up even less now, especially after doing the granby warmup's everyday before class. It still gives me daily pain but I just don't think I could risk getting an operation that could make me worse, which ive heard about from many people

Array

School
    Cheers for the insight Tom, I'm getting to that point where I might just go back and see what happens, definitely don't want surgery, but also don't want to be off the mat for good. I've been doing yoga as well which seems to help. How do you find lifting? I used to do kettlebells but that aggravates the problem as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Matt Serra was talking about how he had one on JRE and he said he was able to rehab it. I don't know how but is look into something along those lines personally.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Thanks Brent I'll have a look.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
    Cheers for the insight Tom, I'm getting to that point where I might just go back and see what happens, definitely don't want surgery, but also don't want to be off the mat for good. I've been doing yoga as well which seems to help. How do you find lifting? I used to do kettlebells but that aggravates the problem as well.
    For me, overhead lifting tends to aggravate it the most. Even the tension you hold in your neck from stress can do it. However, I'll usually do something small to hurt it, like reaching for a glass of water.
    Like I said, the more I use my neck (either from granby's, neck harness, band work, rolling) the less it locks up. Back when I didn't work out at all, I would get the pain more frequently, more severe, and it would last much longer. Also, ice seems to make it better and heat makes it worse. Maybe that's just me though

Array

School
    Next level combat 10th planet St Paul MN
    Joe, I feel for you buddy. I've had a bulging disc in my cervical spine (c5/c6) as well as one in the lower back (L5/s1) for several years. I've had the epidural done three times. The epidural may or may not help short term. It helped the first time for me, after that it just seemed to hurt worse. It was a big issue for a few years. My biggest advise is consistent PT. Exercise is my best medicine, as long as I am diligent and consistent about exercising, I rarely have any issues. I can still grapple and lift etc no problem. I refuse to have surgery until there is no other option. I believe once they cut into your spine you're never the same. The only time I have any issues is when I try to fight off guillotines from my instructor lol. I try to just tap, it's not worth a long term issue. Good luck, get on that PT.

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
    Hi Joe. I have been diagnosed with C5 C6 bulging discs, I have been off the mat for about 2 months now and I'm starting to get frustrated. I have been seeing an osteopath and the treatment was going well, he suggested some cardio on the x trainer as it was low impact and some body weight work. I did a couple of sessions and now the pain in my neck has returned along with tingling in my left arm, concentrated around the bicep and forearm which was not there before. Unfortunately the osteopath has left the country now and he was the only one here (I live in Qatar). Just wanted to know how you rehabbed your injury and how long it was before you could return to rolling. Thanks. Also thanks for the Mckenzie exercises Tim, just started today.
    I kept doing the McKenzie exercises everyday 3 to 4x a day and my pain went away within a cpl weeks. If it ever flares up, I go back to doing them until the pain goes away. After the neck injury unfortunately I injured my lower back/hip... had a cpl bulging discs and and a anterior rotation/pelvic upslip that kept me out for 6 months. I'm finally back on the mats...but still have to do a stretching routine 2x a day in order to stay 90% pain free .

My advice would be to continue with the McKenzie exercises. If the pain resides look into learning some neck strengthening exercises...and stretch the neck before AND after practice. Best of luck John!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast