rubber guard and lockdown trouble from long legs

I'm up to speed on the basics of rubber guard but I don't do it very often because I've been working my basics (i.e. closed guard) and flexibilty so that when I finally started to work it I would have a good base and be flexible enough (none of this white belt who can't do an armbar from closed guard trying rubber guard/spider guard/de la riva guard shit). Anyway one problem I've always had when playing with rubber guard is that I have LOOONG LEGS. Mine are the longest in my school. I often find it hard to really put the lockdown on a guy and do a hard whip up without it breaking. especially on shorter legged guys. Also with crackhead control I find that I can easily get to the position but my legs are to long and leave to much space so that when I go for the pump it doesn't work. Also when I'm in chill dog I often find it difficult to do the kung fu move because my leg and foot is to long/big to get in front of the guys face. This is not a flexibily issue seeing as I can almost get me knees to the floor in butterfly stretch now and can easily do the lotus stretch pretty deep. It's just that it's hard to easily weave my foot under my forearm to get it in front of their face because my foot is so damn big (size 13). Any suggestions, especially from other tall guys would be of great help! Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona
    Remember that not all moves wil work for everyone.

Im quite tall. I also have a problem with space in crackhead control, so i rarely even go there anymore. Double Bagger works great for me instead.

However, i find it straightforward enough using kung fu move, and i have size 14 feet (UK size mofo). Can you get your legs over your head? You might lack the correct flexibility to do the move effectively. Going to lotus is good and butterfly stretch is good but being able to put my leg behind my head definetly helps out me in rubber guard.

Kung fu move is an art in itself though. Alot of reps needed.

I see where youre coming from with lockdown. I rarely whip up now because of the problem you mentioned. One move that will work well if you are tall is 5-0 sweep. Again though, all these moves require fucking hundreds of reps and you will get smashed a good percentage of the time, but keep repping and trying things and you will eventually start to find out what works for you and what doesent.
    Blue belt under Sean Bollinger

http://www.facebook.com/camcarr93?ref=tn_tnmn

you might have something on the foot behind the head thing. i can get it back there kinda but not far enough back to where it's on my neck and it stays there by itself. the problem i have with kung fu move alot it when people are either trying to posture or really laying down on me and staying close. i guess both of these would be cases for going to invisible collar and waiting for a more opportune time to do kung fu move (that's why it's called CHILL dog lol) but again im not the best at it so when people feel im going for it they instantly give me either reaction. the thing is that i'm 10th p home schooled and i got to a school that looks down on rubber guard so when its not working instantly i get discouraged from doing it by my coach rather than getting helpful tips to tweek it and make it work

also i really want to find a way to make crackhead work cause my armbar and my flower sweep is my shit from guard. bread and butter yo.

Array

School
    NextGen MMA/Ronin
    I feel your pain. My legs are LOOOOOONG and bitches be slippin out all the time.

Lockdown works great for me once I get it in. I can stretch people out like crazy once I lock it up. Longer legs just means you have to work a bit on locking it up. Once its in its just a matter if the squeeze.

I play a lot of lockdown overhook to pyramid. Rep it. Works great with long legs.

Try the crowbar instead of the kf move. Helps sometimes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Roberts View Post
    I'm up to speed on the basics of rubber guard but I don't do it very often because I've been working my basics (i.e. closed guard) and flexibilty so that when I finally started to work it I would have a good base and be flexible enough (none of this white belt who can't do an armbar from closed guard trying rubber guard/spider guard/de la riva guard shit). Anyway one problem I've always had when playing with rubber guard is that I have LOOONG LEGS. Mine are the longest in my school. I often find it hard to really put the lockdown on a guy and do a hard whip up without it breaking. especially on shorter legged guys. Also with crackhead control I find that I can easily get to the position but my legs are to long and leave to much space so that when I go for the pump it doesn't work. Also when I'm in chill dog I often find it difficult to do the kung fu move because my leg and foot is to long/big to get in front of the guys face. This is not a flexibily issue seeing as I can almost get me knees to the floor in butterfly stretch now and can easily do the lotus stretch pretty deep. It's just that it's hard to easily weave my foot under my forearm to get it in front of their face because my foot is so damn big (size 13). Any suggestions, especially from other tall guys would be of great help! Thanks!
    Hit up Dan Conway he is one of my students who is 6'3 and plays rubber guard/double bagger like a champ. He has some tricks to deal with his height.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Post a video of attempting to use your problem areas. People might see some details you could add or could be missing

I have long legs and I have always liked doing rubber. I have very good flexibility tough. All my problems are that my long legs are still too weak. Working on my squeeze now.